Awesome shark pictures

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sharkweek178

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Exactly what it says on the tin. Awesome pictures of sharks.

OIP.789iXZTQBk_-uI76p850nAHaD1

There's an island off the coast of South Africa that is inhabited by thousands of seals. As you can imagine, this attracts great white sharks. The sea floor has a sharp dropoff point that gives the sharks plenty of room to build momentum when they ambush the seals from below. So much that the sharks come flying out of the water like this. If they hit, it's actually one of the more merciful predations in nature. The seal never knows what hit them. If you've watched Shark Week on Discovery, you might have seen the guy who took this picture, Chris Fallows.

Last edited:
20180204_193848.jpg

Now this one is near and dear to me because I took it myself years ago at the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium back when they had these sand tiger sharks. They look scary but they aren't much of a threat to humans. They'd just as soon avoid people. They look impressive and are a good size but they are also fairly docile (for a shark) and do well in captivity. Which is why you see them in aquariums pretty often.
Here's something gnarly about them. They engage in something called "intrauterine cannibalization". Before they are even born, they eat each other in the womb until only one or two survive to be born.

I actually REALLY like sharks! I wish I could setup a tank to hold a leopard shark! These beasties are unique in a couple of ways.

1) They reportedly will restrict growth to around 6 inches per 50 gallons of water.

2) They are one of the few, if not the only, shark that does not not to move to breathe. Other sharks require movement to 'push' water through the gills. These do not.

Problem is that they totally rule the tank and anything that moves is food. Even groupers have no chance. Before I left Ohio in 1987 I knew a doctor that had one in a 400 gallon tank. with one of these critters that was in the area of 1.5 feet. Solved his issue of wanting other fish by using plexiglass to build a barrier giving the shark 2/3 of the tank and a 1/3 for other fish. Took a week or so of the shark beating it's head against the glass trying to get to the other fish but the beastie learned and ended up just ignoring the other fish. Hey, it worked. Oh, there were many holes drilled in the 'wall' to not restrict water flow throughout the entire tank.

I just think that they are beautiful. The body profile reminds me of a fighter jet.
shark.jpg

I actually REALLY like sharks! I wish I could setup a tank to hold a leopard shark! These beasties are unique in a couple of ways.

1) They reportedly will restrict growth to around 6 inches per 50 gallons of water.

2) They are one of the few, if not the only, shark that does not not to move to breathe. Other sharks require movement to 'push' water through the gills. These do not.

Problem is that they totally rule the tank and anything that moves is food. Even groupers have no chance. Before I left Ohio in 1987 I knew a doctor that had one in a 400 gallon tank. with one of these critters that was in the area of 1.5 feet. Solved his issue of wanting other fish by using plexiglass to build a barrier giving the shark 2/3 of the tank and a 1/3 for other fish. Took a week or so of the shark beating it's head against the glass trying to get to the other fish but the beastie learned and ended up just ignoring the other fish. Hey, it worked. Oh, there were many holes drilled in the 'wall' to not restrict water flow throughout the entire tank.

I just think that they are beautiful. The body profile reminds me of a fighter jet.

I love sharks too & "fighter jet" is right on the money. Nurse sharks can also lay sedentary on the bottom. If I had the space & money, I would have black-tip reef sharks (my favorite). Went snorkeling in the Bahamas once with reef sharks.

Here’s some I took :)
7F3A1D5C-EB86-4F78-A4C8-D2A66D39C66C.jpeg
C8217250-D3A8-4FC6-A51B-F70961B50BD7.jpeg
00EC4DBC-4961-4EC8-892E-3EB5D638B951.jpeg
743A4084-74A6-4525-A599-12828D527DA3.jpeg

Shark-Infestation.jpg

Bull sharks are one of my favorites. They can swim in saltwater or freshwater. This makes them one of the most dangerous sharks, maybe even the most dangerous to humans. Because if you think you're safe in a river, think again. They swim up rivers and have been spotted pretty far inland. I think these are the sharks most likely responsible for the famous Jersey Shore shark attacks of 1916. Some people think the attacks in the river occurred in water that was brackish enough that it could have been great whites. But that seems more like a bull shark thing to me.

Bull sharks also have a higher level of aggression due to more testosterone (or whatever that would equate to in a shark).

Here’s a few pics I snapped:
F46CC187-417C-4358-A670-0B2D9D02DEBE.jpeg

F93DE8A1-1EE5-4D3B-B7EA-9EDEA52EB9F7.jpeg
F7C8AC42-DD34-4FD7-8CF9-D7C6CF411138.jpeg
CF86D38A-2164-49AB-9FA8-5079A0FF33D5.jpeg

First 3 are white tips, last one is a tiger.

Sharks are truly scary. They are real life monsters that are out there in the water and not in your imagination. I love shark movies because it could be real except Ghost Shark. Actually that was a good movie. Richard Moll saved it.

These were taken at the Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach!
20220822_131639_capture.jpg
20220822_130730_capture.jpg
20220822_131600.jpg
20220822_131513.jpg
20220822_131415.jpg
20220822_131052.jpg
20220822_130936.jpg
20220822_130847.jpg
20220822_130644_capture.jpg
20220822_130548_capture.jpg
20220822_130312.jpg
20220822_130500.jpg
20220822_130430.jpg

Sharks are truly scary. They are real life monsters that are out there in the water and not in your imagination. I love shark movies because it could be real except Ghost Shark. Actually that was a good movie. Richard Moll saved it.
I know many think so but sharks are not monsters. Yes, they are dominant predators but no more so than lions or tigers. Also, one of the more feared sharks isn't even a shark. An Orca or killer whale is actually in the dolphin family but many think they are sharks.

When I lived in Florida I just figured that sharks didn't bother me in my house so why should I bother them in theirs? I remember a case when I got yelled at at the beach in Florida. A guy was surf fishing and caught a small hammer head that was probably 10-14 inches. He had other fish in a cooler but the shark was just laying on the beach flopping a bit. I asked him his intent with the shark and he said to just let it die. I asked if I could have it and he said sure. I put it back in the water and got yelled at by several people. Too many people think that humans 'own' nature but, in fact, nature owns humans.

We are just so arrogant when it comes to nature thinking that we can control when we should be doing out best to learn to live side by side. Take the rain forests... We have made thousands of species, both plant and animal, extinct. Now consider that, if not all, most medicines have come from nature. Sure, we artificially produce many but the original came from nature. Makes me wonder how many cures for cancers and other ailments we have destroyed by causing extinctions through nothing other than greed. And it IS greed. We have become hard wired to always want more than we have even if we don't need. We should be spending more time learning to live in peace with nature. There is always the argument that we need to 'cut down' nature to grow stuff to feed the worlds population yet the U.S. government pays farmers to not plant crops. Makes no sense to me as it seems that we are on the path to self destruction.

I know many think so but sharks are not monsters. Yes, they are dominant predators but no more so than lions or tigers. Also, one of the more feared sharks isn't even a shark. An Orca or killer whale is actually in the dolphin family but many think they are sharks.

When I lived in Florida I just figured that sharks didn't bother me in my house so why should I bother them in theirs? I remember a case when I got yelled at at the beach in Florida. A guy was surf fishing and caught a small hammer head that was probably 10-14 inches. He had other fish in a cooler but the shark was just laying on the beach flopping a bit. I asked him his intent with the shark and he said to just let it die. I asked if I could have it and he said sure. I put it back in the water and got yelled at by several people. Too many people think that humans 'own' nature but, in fact, nature owns humans.

We are just so arrogant when it comes to nature thinking that we can control when we should be doing out best to learn to live side by side. Take the rain forests... We have made thousands of species, both plant and animal, extinct. Now consider that, if not all, most medicines have come from nature. Sure, we artificially produce many but the original came from nature. Makes me wonder how many cures for cancers and other ailments we have destroyed by causing extinctions through nothing other than greed. And it IS greed. We have become hard wired to always want more than we have even if we don't need. We should be spending more time learning to live in peace with nature. There is always the argument that we need to 'cut down' nature to grow stuff to feed the worlds population yet the U.S. government pays farmers to not plant crops. Makes no sense to me as it seems that we are on the path to self destruction.
I see sharks as the dogs of the ocean.
I've seen videos where they literally are enjoying being pet or "ask" to be pet.
Yah, they have huge teeth and jaws that are menacing but their chill for the most part if their not viewing you as a threat.
Most attacks are them seeing someone as a seal. Cause when someone is on a surf board they look like that

I grew up surfing in Northern California, live in maui now, so work on the ocean, surf, dive, play in the ocean. You learn to live with them. I’ve never had a scary encounter with a shark. And that includes to couple times I’ve seen a great white. Honestly, seals have chased me out of the water more times than a shark has.

Most reactions

trending

Back