Automatic Fish Feeder

Fortyfoot

New Member
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Hi there I would be interested to know which type of feeder is best for a 3ft tropical tank, which would feed once a day for two weeks or more. Fish mate is sold on ebay and also Digital Auto.

Any advice please.

Thanks.
 
i too would be interested to see what recomendations people make as i need one for doing multiple feeds to my marine tank whilst i am out during the day.
 
i too would be interested to see what recomendations people make as i need one for doing multiple feeds to my marine tank whilst i am out during the day.

Me 3 :good: Although I have heard fish can survive for upto 10 days if fed well before going away. I think Eheim make an autofeeder too but ive not heard much about it.

Mike
 
next door neighbour if you trust them
No I do not, and my friend who normally looks after them is away at the same time as me. I am really overloaded with bristlenose and guppies and need to see to tanks and feed regularly.
 
I recently bought one of these Hydor jobbies

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...roducts_id=1306

It runs on 2 AA's and can be hooked up to an air pump to keep the food dry in its chamber if you are going to be away for a long time.

The lights on the front flash to tell you what mode it is on. Green light will feed fish once in 24 hours. Yellow light will feed fish Twice in 24 hours, red light will feed fish 3 times in 24 hours. I used the "Twice" setting.

In the Twice setting, when you start up the device, the barrel that the food is in will rotate 360 degrees, letting a specific amount of food out of the hole in its side. This hole is adjusted manually to allow the correct amount of food out per rotation. (Trial and error!) It will then stay still for 12 hours and then rotate and release a second feed.

I loaded the barrel with a mixture of crushed flakes, small cichlid pellets and small sinking pellets. The barrel will not let large flakes pass through (only a few pass through so as not allowing one complete feed), and I should imagine that cichlid sticks or similar would also be dificult for the device to process - Although the opening in the barrel does look wide enough to let them through.

...This has turned into a review hasn't it. Pah!!

Id say its worth £20, I used it for a 2 week holiday, trialing the feeding quantity for a week before I left to ensure that roughly the correct amount of feed was supplied to the fish. I also fed my fish up before I left and had the feed quantity minimised for my holiday so the water quality wouldnt suffer.

I doubt that the chamber is large enough to feed for longer than 2 weeks, although if going on a 16 or so day holiday, the remaining feed free days wouldnt harm the fish.
 
mmm good priced item.
thanks for the 'review'!

how does it attach to the aquarium?
 
Great review saz326, thanks for that. Have you any more reviews?

Anguilla82, can you do a review on the big fish you are holding, from the Severn?
 
Hi,
Just a quick question but how does the above item attach to the tank? Sorry if it is visible on the picture in the link but I am on my phone so am not 100% sure its displaying properly.

Thanks
Mike
 
I borrowed a friends feeder and really liked it.

It's the Fishmate F14

It's simple in the way it works, and not the prettiest feeder, but it's very versatile and fits perfectly on the cross bar, under the hood in my tank.
It's got 14 compartments for putting any combination of food you want in, and can be setup to deliver a compartment at any 4 hour point during the day.
I had it setup to feed flake at 8am, 4pm and then put some algae wafers in at midnight on the middle night of my 3 day absence.
It's important to note though, there are 14 chambers, so if you up the feeds per day, you decrease the number of days it can supply food.

You can attach an airline to it too keep the food fresh (very necessary). There was some clumping even so with flake food.
I've moved to crisps now so hopefully will be better.

It's strengths are it can deliver perfectly measured amounts of many different types food at regualr/irregular times.
It's weakness is it can only do 14 feeds, it takes an hour or so to deliver the feed compartment, and isn't the nicest feeder to look at.

It's low tech, but it works.
After trialling his I'm planning on getting one as I've heard with many of the other feeders it's a bit of a guess as to how much food gets delivered.
 
Great review saz326, thanks for that. Have you any more reviews?

Anguilla82, can you do a review on the big fish you are holding, from the Severn?

The fish is a barbel (around 9lb 6oz) caught from the River Wye.
 
Anguilla82, can you do a review on the big fish you are holding, from the Severn?

..too big for my tank!

Just a quick question but how does the above item attach to the tank?

..it doesnt Mike. It simply sits above an opening in the lid so the food can fall through.

I simply leave a pannel slightly open at the top of my tank so as to allow a gap through which the food can fall.
 
Good fish Anguilla82, I would like to get a double, but a 9lb would do!

Have bought a Fish Mate, so I will report back when I have given it a try.

Thanks for all the replies
 
Hi, the Fish Mate seems to work well, the main problem to me is that you must ensure that large pieces are broken up to ensure that they drop through the apperture.


Peg.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top