Attempted pics of psuedomugli luminatus/red neon rainbow fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
They're so fast! I'm not a great photographer to begin with, but it's even harder with tiny and very fast fish! But I tried :lol:
@Rocky998 promised to bombard with photos! @Colin_T hoped you'd take a look too. :)Here's the tank they're in at the moment, with the pygmy cories, otos and two male guppies.
DSCF9962.JPG

DSCF9922.JPG

DSCF9958.JPG
DSCF9912.JPG
DSCF9903.JPG
DSCF9978.JPG
DSCF9977.JPG
DSCF9947.JPG
DSCF9951.JPG
DSCF9954.JPG
DSCF9959.JPG
DSCF9908.JPG
DSCF9887.JPG
DSCF9874.JPG
DSCF9875.JPG

Wow!
Are they full size and full colored or are they still growing and "decompressing" to color up?
I still like their nice amberish color.
Thank you for all the photos!

Plus the otos and pygmies :)
Currently has seven otos that have nice round tummies, there's a lot of algae in this tank! lol. I supplement too of course. Have a single oto in quarantine that I've rescued, can't wait to be able to add him here so he has oto friends after a long time! Few different sub-species of otos, and the new one is one I've never seen before either. Hard to get a photo, but he's larger than mine, he's the same length and width as the cories he came with. When they were all in the bucket and I was looking from above, I thought it was four cories at first;
DSCF0254.JPG

Here's a couple of mine, I love having them with pygmy cories, they seem to get along really well, and often find an oto swimming along with a group of pygmies or vice versa, and it's adorable.

DSCF9973.JPG
DSCF9996.JPG

Lost two of my elderly guppies recently, have two left. They're two of the favourites I bred, about two years old I think.
DSCF0044.JPG
DSCF0045.JPG
DSCF0046.JPG
DSCF0064.JPG
DSCF0069.JPG
DSCF0077.JPG
DSCF0083.JPG

Gutted, I came so close to catching a shot of the oldest male flaring his fins out! So close, but no cigar.
DSCF0088.JPG
DSCF0098.JPG

Looks like this female surrounded by males is carrying a bunch of eggs...!
DSCF0113.JPG

Pygmies, otos and rainbows all mixing together! That slate cave has been really useful. I prop it up at each end slightly because the pygmy fry really like it for hiding when they're tiny. When my moss balls fell apart, I glued the moss to the outside, and the otos like it a lot for grazing algae/micro critters.
DSCF0121.JPG
DSCF0128.JPG

More!
DSCF0134.JPG
DSCF0136.JPG
DSCF0146.JPG
DSCF0152.JPG
DSCF0156.JPG

DSCF0157.JPG

DSCF0164.JPG
DSCF0185.JPG
DSCF0181.JPG

Okay, that's it for photos of this tank today! I did say that I'd spam pics of the psuedos. :lol:

@Rocky998 They're adults, and yes, the colour is more amber than red, they're not pale or washed out or anything. But the males colour up more deeply when they're displaying to each other, and I only have one definite male, possibly a second immature one, and the two (or three, because unsure of that possible male) females, so he hasn't got other males to display at really at the moment. :) But their colours also look a lot better if they're under a better plant light, and with a better photographer! lol. I can't capture how lovely they really are. They have bright blue eyes, and a stunning blue streak along their backs.

Awesome!
Thank you so much for sharing!
Can't wait to see even more colorful photos 😉

Awesome!
Thank you so much for sharing!
Can't wait to see even more colorful photos 😉
I'm sorry my fish aren't flashy enough for you :p

You might be waiting a while. I haven't the time at the moment to try to get them to spawn and separate out eggs and fry, won't be going to the LFS to get more for a while, and definitely won't be getting an expensive high intensity light anytime soon. I'm not likely to become a better photographer either, so I wouldn't hold your breath!

I'm sorry my fish aren't flashy enough for you :p

You might be waiting a while. I haven't the time at the moment to try to get them to spawn and separate out eggs and fry, won't be going to the LFS to get more for a while, and definitely won't be getting an expensive high intensity light anytime soon. I'm not likely to become a better photographer either, so I wouldn't hold your breath!
Never said they weren't colorful enough 😅

That would be awesome if you bred them!

I would get the guppies out if you want baby rainbows. The pygmy Cories might knock off the eggs too.

Aawww, the guy I got them from said he kept his breeding ones with some Endlers, and they seemed to enjoy the Endler's company, and he still collected eggs from them, so I was hoping it would work. But I've also kinda put attempting to spawn them on hold at the moment because of adopted fish and needing to switch the tanks around anyway... not a great time to be trying to raise fry with all that going on.

if you pick the eggs then the guppies are less of an issue but they will eat baby rainbowfish

Thank you! If I see any eggs, I'll definitely put them in a fine net breeder box, away from the adults and guppies :D

Do you reckon a 15L tank could be used just briefly as a spawning tank/to raise fry, BTW? Or would moving the rainbows stop them spawning?

you can put the eggs and new born fry in a 15 litre tank but its too small for the adults.

you can put the eggs and new born fry in a 15 litre tank but its too small for the adults.
Not to keep them in! To try to get them to spawn I mean, so the eggs are safe? I'm not confident that I'll be able to see the eggs

A couple of things.
1st of all, I too have a couple of male endlers in with a male and 2 female illumiatus and they do swim together as if they are best friends. However, my 2nd point, is that I have a tank with female endlers that have 2 mature fish and fry of varying ages. The older endlers are always having a go at the fry as an escaping main course meal.
Whether or not male endlers would be same I can't say as they are good bit smaller anyway, but are still endlers.
The Illuminatus I have are old enough to spawn yet I can't say I've ever witnessed any attempt to. As they are unlikely to live for much more than a year I'm sort of disappointed as I really want a line of succession. The tank is well planted, as my previous comments and images will show, so there's enough places for eggs to be laid and hatched out uninterrupted.
I do love the look of the fish though but I really wouldn't have bought them if I thought I could get fry from them.
On another angle, I also have some absolutely gorgeous Scarlett Badis which I have bred from, albeit I suspect that most of the eggs and fry haven't been successful. I think the male has eaten more then the ones that have succeeded.
Apart from that, I buy fish that not only could have a good chance of breeding but they must be colourful. I can't say the Badis aren'nt colourful as they truly are (the males as usual) but they are almost constantly hidden under the wood roots etc. I manage to see one probably about once a week. It's like having a beautiful woman and making her wear a burqa.

Oh, just for your consideration. Apparently the Illuninatus are best fed frequently to get them into breeding condition. I have a superb culture of white worms so I chop them up into bite size lengths and feed them at least once per day along with Tetra Micro. The worms are great but for fish of this size the worm can be almost as long as them so they do need chopping. I also have a tub of water in the garden that attracts mosquitos etc and has other small life in it that I net out and feed as often as I can.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back