Atlantic Crushed Coral For African Cichlids?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

onidrase

Let's Be Friends
Reaction score
Hello, I bought 80 pounds of "Nature's Ocean Pre-Washed Atlantic Crushed Coral" for the substrate for my future african cichlid tank, since this stuff was 10 dollars cheaper than anything else I could find. I was pretty sure this stuff would work just as well, though. It doesn't seem to say it won't work, but it doesn't say it will either.

I just want to make sure this won't mess up my tank before I crack open bags and start dumping things all over the place for no reason.

All It says on the bag is

"Natural crushed coral gravel" (it is sand, not gravel)

"maintains superior pH and marine chemical balance"

"provides maximum surface area for biological nitrification"

"scientifically graded for uniformity which provides maximum water flow and aeration"

"prevents anerobic dead spots in bacteria bed"

"completely chemical free"

when I asked the lady at the shop if it would work for african cichlids she was like "yeah that's what it's for" which I kinda took for a given, since the place doesn't even sell saltwater fish. But at the same time, the fish stores here hire people who don't know the difference between aragonite sand and flourite, and argue with me that firemouths are malawi cichlids.

I just wanna make sure there's not much of a difference between this stuff and cichlid sand sold by caribsea which has cichlid on the label to make me feel comfortable.

Thank you.

Most reactions

trending

Back