assimilate live moss mat?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hello all
i received the the live java moss mat to put in my amano tank.
how do i add it safely? it’s sealed in a flat plastic bag. thanks

hello all
i received the the live java moss mat to put in my amano tank.
how do i add it safely? it’s sealed in a flat plastic bag. thanks
just quarantine if you think nessecary and add in tank

a qt tank perhaps
you could just leave it in water for a few days and check for parasites or smth>
sorry to be dumb, but what would parasites look like. i ordered on amazon , but it came from the place my shrimp came from- Aquaticarts.

sorry to be dumb, but what would parasites look like. i ordered on amazon , but it came from the place my shrimp came from- Aquaticarts.
i looked at Aquaticarts website. their comment about new plants is that they treat plants with a pesticide- not harmful to plants and animals. but sometimes snails sneak through. if snails are in the moss and i don’t notice that even after quarantine will they hurt amano shrimp?

o nevermind it should be fine
same source
i looked at Aquaticarts website. their comment about new plants is that they treat plants with a pesticide- not harmful to plants and animals. but sometimes snails sneak through. if snails are in the moss and i don’t notice that even after quarantine will they hurt amano shrimp?
nah most snails, pest snails, are just cute little tank cleaners. do not overfeed the tank cos theyre gonna breed. some ramshorns are really pretty tho

same source

nah most snails, pest snails, are just cute little tank cleaners. do not overfeed the tank cos theyre gonna breed. some ramshorns are really pretty tho
thanks! my shrimp are arriving tomorrow. i’m soaking the mat now. do the moss mats grow? it’s about 3”X3”

thanks! my shrimp are arriving tomorrow. i’m soaking the mat now. do the moss mats grow? it’s about 3”X3”
the scaffolding wont but the moss will spread... a lot
what type of moss
if its christmas moss then get a rock or a piece of driftwood or a coconut shell and let it cover it

the scaffolding wont but the moss will spread... a lot
what type of moss
if its christmas moss then get a rock or a piece of driftwood or a coconut shell and let it cover it
thanks Sqooosh for clarifying that metal mesh doesn’t grow 😆 it’s java moss. my lifelike rock is coming tomorrow.

thanks Sqooosh for clarifying that metal mesh doesn’t grow 😆 it’s java moss. my lifelike rock is coming tomorrow.
oof i was dumb there LOL
java moss is gonna turn into a nice messy cloud, shrimp will love it

same source

I agree...
IMG_20211027_075722.jpg

The snails won't hurt the shrimp, but be aware that many pesticides contain chemicals that are harmful to snails and shrimp. While I'd like to trust the integrity of plant sellers, there's no guarantee that there is absolute truth to that statement either. Considering pesticides are typically used to get rid of snails on plants but they comment that "snails sneak through", I would honestly assume that they're not using a pesticide. Of course I could be wrong, just a bit of a worry-wart.

If snails become an issue then you can control the population by feeding the tank and waiting for all the snails to surface to scoop them out. Alternatively feed with a wedge of blanched cucumber and see if the snails are attracted to that. Personally the former method worked best in my tank.

Hope all is going well, best of luck with the new plants!

The snails won't hurt the shrimp, but be aware that many pesticides contain chemicals that are harmful to snails and shrimp. While I'd like to trust the integrity of plant sellers, there's no guarantee that there is absolute truth to that statement either. Considering pesticides are typically used to get rid of snails on plants but they comment that "snails sneak through", I would honestly assume that they're not using a pesticide. Of course I could be wrong, just a bit of a worry-wart.

If snails become an issue then you can control the population by feeding the tank and waiting for all the snails to surface to scoop them out. Alternatively feed with a wedge of blanched cucumber and see if the snails are attracted to that. Personally the former method worked best in my tank.

Hope all is going well, best of luck with the new plants!
thanks! the live moss is from the place the shrimp came from. hope it all works out. i love watching the snails with their funny little
“legs”.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back