Assassin Snails

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

B13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
HI all,

I've just become the proud (?!!) owner of some Assassin Snails who will be gainfully employed in keeping the snail population in my tank at a more manageable level.

Question: apart from eating other snails, what else do they need to survive / thrive? Do I need to supplement their diet?

:)

I think they eat algae wafers and left over meaty fish food too, when there are no juicy snails to devour :)

What snails do you have which have grown too large in numbers? MTS? Pond?

I've got both Pond and Ramshorn snails.

I don't mind snails hanging around and cleaning up any excess food, but my filter sponges always seems to be PACKED full of them!!

:blink:

I try not to over-feed my tank's inhabitants: I only put a small pinch of food in for my fish in the morning and a couple of flakes for the BN plec in the evening. Result: happy Danios and zillions of bloomin' snails!!!

:lol:

I'll be adding Malaysian Trumpet snails to my new tank when it arrives, I hear they're the worst offenders for population growth...hence the interest

I have also read that Red Claw Macro shrimp can eat snails, they use their claws to pull out the juicy stuff...but I haven't seen those anywhere, plus they wouldn't help you as they eat your assassins (such a cool name)

I did have a few snails before now in my current tank, but they just died leaving empty shells behind...no idea why, all my fish are fine and tests proved the water was good....I don't think any of my current inhabitants eat snails so it's always confused me that one

Hee!!

The lil' stripey fellas have settled in fiiiiiine!!!

24388_1408404897269_1446867763_2897969_7074556_n.jpg

I have to say, they are doing rather a good job of chomping their way through the rogue snails and I think I've seen a couple of 'em trying to breed!!

:)

I have read about assassin snails but still not sure what is best to feed them apart from the snails in my tank.

cheers :lol:

Most reactions

Back