Assassin Snails... I'm Assuming They Eat Flesh?

Mayu

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know assassin snails eat other snails... so I'm assuming they eat flesh too right? cause last night I found my oldest molly dead at the bottom of the tank. She was old, but it was kind of sad because I had her for so long. But I was out the door to an appointment... and I figured I'd clean her up when I got home. I was only going to be gone for an hour or two.

I got home even sooner than I thought, and her carcass was gone... but my assassin snails were more active than usual... So I'm wondering if they ate her... I was wondering if this could have happened to another fish of mine a while back. I had some assassins in another tank and when I went on vacation I thought my friend (now ex-friend for other reasons too) was taking care of my tank... only when I got back, one of my rams was missing, and the tank was a disaster and took me a long time to right it again. I never found the carcass of the other ram. Now I'm wondering if it's possible the assassins that were in that tank at one point, ate the body.

Snails and fish will eat other dead fish so it probably died normally then was eating by the snails and fish in the tank.

Actually asassins are not detritivores so don't eat flesh when it is decomposing they will however eat flesh when it has just died. They don't have well developed mouths so kind of suck their food out with minimal chewing. There should be skeleton if it was them if you have mts then they may of buried it. If you have shrimp then they will eat dead fish but again there would be a skeleton.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back