Asian Water Moss

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
Reaction score
I bought some Asian water moss from online. I was wondering if any of you have it and what you think of it? Any tips for growing it fast would also be appreciated. I also got some Jungle Val, moneywort, and the seller included some water wisteria as well!

Heres some pictures of the water moss. I really like the roots!

Attachments

• IMG_5176.JPG
    IMG_5176.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5177.JPG
    IMG_5177.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 30
Your Asian water moss is Salvinia, it's a floating plant that spreads readily. It does suffer from parasitic mites and these can be seen on the leaves. The plants in the picture look clean and free of mites.

The leaf from the other plant looks like a piece of Cabomba. It probably won't grow but leave it and see if it does.

Your Asian water moss is Salvinia, it's a floating plant that spreads readily. It does suffer from parasitic mites and these can be seen on the leaves. The plants in the picture look clean and free of mites.

The leaf from the other plant looks like a piece of Cabomba. It probably won't grow but leave it and see if it does.
Good to know. I did a hydrogen peroxide soak so hopefully that killed any pests.

Interesting. I'll deffinelty leave it to see what happens :)

I have some of that in my tanks! It’s a gorgeous plant. I believeeee it’s also called velvet salvinia

The mites are fairly harmless. I am sure they affect the plant some but generally not enough to affect them much. They are relished by fish that prey on micro bugs. My angelfish are always hunting for them and it is fun to watch them because to catch them they have to get them at the air-water interface, which is hard. The same mites (of course I don’t know if the same species) occur on other floaters such as frogbit, duckweed, water lettuce and hiacynth.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back