Are These Worms?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nic1

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello and Happy New Year! 

Ive only ever had three platy fry survive past 4 months old, they are usually released into the main tank after 2 months once they are strong enough to swim away and hide from the other fish. I am aware that some of the weakest will get picked off, but from the 40 or so I have three left... there have been a few that seemed strong and healthy only to get really thin and disapear, Im assuming they have been eaten, today I noticed one of the remaining three with this white bulge hanging out of her back passage. I went away for a few hours and came back and there was a fine white thread there with the bulge, I have attached pictures.

Can anyone tell me if they have parasites or if its something else?

Thanks.

Sorry about the quality, the phone seems to want to focus on everything but the fish!

Attachments

• IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 77
unfortunately I can't see anything as the photo's are too small but from what you describe I'd say they need to be wormed. 

I think your pics are a bit too small to be able to make a diagnosis. Maybe a bacterial infection creating white poo, or a nematode.

Oh no, well I hope these are clearer because I think shes brown bread now.

I treated the tank with Esha exit and Esha 2000 just incase it was bacterial, this was a few weeks ago now, but after seeing this 'thing' Im thinking worms?

Thanks for the help btw

Attachments

• FullSizeRender1.jpg
    FullSizeRender1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 68
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 71
yeah, looks like worm to me. Treat the whole tank in case she's 'shared'

Thanks Akasha,

Having a look in my fish cupboard I have Waterlife Octozin bought back in the day but never used (when I was richer before Xmas) I have read I can use this to treat internal parasites, I know Sera Nematol is excellent at getting rid of common internal parasites but I will have to either pay £28 for it from the UK or order it from Germany which will come in 2 weeks and that will probably be too late.

I have no idea how to use it the info is so vague and its the fry who are affected but it doesn't state if its safe to use on them, or snails for that matter, my loaches will be OK so that's one good thing. I've been checking and reading all I can before I take the plunge but if anyone has any experience I would be grateful.

octozin is an anti-biotic and I'm not sure if that will work on internal worms. It does work on internal bacteria- such as hexamita. It might be better to add a specific wormer that kills the worm before it's passed through. All it will take is for other fish to try to eat the worm and they could then be infected. 

Have a look at this http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/products/Anti-Fluke-%26-Wormer-(Aquarium)-%2311-.html NTLabs are a good company and it's only just over a fiver so not too expensive

I actually looked at that but I have snails in the tank and its not advisable, Im still on the hunt though! I see that esha do one Esha gdex is safe for snails  £6, and Esha ndx £8 which cant be used with snails but is more likely to be the product I need! 

What I have done now is add the octozin I have to add two more doses on day 2 and 3, wait 8 days then do a 50% water change, I have also bought esha gdex which will come on the 12th so I have to wait a week, which is ideal as after the water change I will add that.

Its quite difficult treating a tank with snails!!

I will let you know what happens, finger crossed.

what type of snails do you have? I've added esha with my trumpets and I still have far too many trumpets! I did move my nerite snails though as I thought they might be more sensitive. MTS are like cockroaches, I'm sure they'd survive the apocolypse!

Do you have another tank you could move your snail to? Alternately you could ask at your lfs if they will look after your snails while you treat. I have a brilliant lfs that will do that happily. They pop the snail in a tank and add a note to the tank to say the snail(s) are not for sale

I have a newly acquired rabbit snail, nerite snails, MTS and ramshorns.There are loads in there! but I like them :) also, I was afraid if I kill them off with the medication then that would make the ammonia soar with all the hidden MTS under the sand.

Im on day two now, but Im not panicking that much as they seem to be OK, just itching to do a water change lol.

well the MTS's will be fine - that much I can tell you. Keep a watch on the others and see how they go

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back