Are These Suitable Fish For Beginner?

DanS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here's the details, 60 litre tank (16 G), complete beginner but doing lots of research.

I want a very natural looking aquarium - live plants, rocks, wood and will cycle it hopefully fishless cycling so i'm some time away from getting the fish...... but obviously i'm thinking about it!

So i've never kept fish put thought it would be good to start with some Platys once the tank has cycled, say 6...

The other fish i'm interested in keeping is some kind of Hatchetfish - The Marbled Hatchfish seems a suitable size... Maybe 3-4

Finally, a single Siamese Fighting Fish (male?)

So total 11 fish for the 60l tank

I know the final two aren't the easiest to keep for a beginner, but i don't want to stock up with fish i don't want?!

Any thoughts on the fish above as a group and ease of looking after? Should I go for something a little simpler etc.? Also any advice of types of plants would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Dan

Don't need to replace the sponges only when there breaking and rotting away.
You don't need to touch the filter sponges far at least six months.
Usually go by your water stats.
Only clean the filter pad the white one once a week, just rinse it in old tank water.
The green nitrate sponge and black carbon need changing every six weeks.
Don't use them to expensive, only need the black carbon for removing meds.
The nitrate green sponge not even proven they work.
Yes a liquid test kit of your own is a must to be honest.

SO SORRY REPLYED TO THE WRONG THREAD.

Hi. Platys are great starting fish. Hatchets you have to be careful as there renown for there jumping clean out water any chance given. Ive not had themfor this reason but would like some.

Siemese fighters (bettas) are pretty easy to care for, just make sure your current is low or it will exhaust them until death as there fins are so long and heavy.

How about some corys (small catfish) There bottom dwellers and tough little mites that are great fun to watch.

Please only ad 2 fish at 1st then increase slowly or you will end up with a huge amonia peak etc.. and lose alot of fish.

I started with 2 mollies as my 1st tropical fish. Great fish, 1 is ready to have fry any day :)

I agree, platys are perfect for begginers. Hatchet fish are great jumpers and are harder to keep. I would go with neon tetras instead. And the corys are a good idea. they will continuosly search the bottom for food. As for the betta, again just make sure the current is low, but having filters turned on low to reduce current, also reduces filtration. but your list looks good. :good:

I wouldn't put Neon Tetras in the tank until it's matured. 3-4 months should be ok.

Most reactions

Back