Are These Fish Compatible?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kuzyaburst

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was thinking of starting a Reef tank and I don't know what size tank yet but I'm thinking either 29g-40g tank. Here are the fish I really want to get but I've been doing research and can't seem to find out whether these fish are compatible with "each other". So here is the list: Clownfish (2), Royal Gramma Basslet (1), Flame Angelfish (1), Six-line Wrasse (STILL DECIDING ON THE WRASSE) (1), Mandarin Dragonet (1),Yellowtail Damsel fish (1), and some invertebrates and corals.

Go for the 40gal if you have space for it, since bigger is always more stable with marine. A clown pair and the basslet should be ok with each other, but the mandarin is probably one to avoid. Dragonets are REALLY hard to feed and are best kept in a large (i.e. 100gal and up), established tank where enough pods are produced for them to forage naturally. Otherwise, they are very prone to starving even if you find one that will eat frozen foods. The damsel is iffy with clowns; usually clowns+damsels is something to avoid in smaller tanks, since they are from the same group and all are not too friendly towards other similar looking species.

Donya said:
Go for the 40gal if you have space for it, since bigger is always more stable with marine. A clown pair and the basslet should be ok with each other, but the mandarin is probably one to avoid. Dragonets are REALLY hard to feed and are best kept in a large (i.e. 100gal and up), established tank where enough pods are produced for them to forage naturally. Otherwise, they are very prone to starving even if you find one that will eat frozen foods. The damsel is iffy with clowns; usually clowns+damsels is something to avoid in smaller tanks, since they are from the same group and all are not too friendly towards other similar looking species.
ok thanks, if I make a refugiam or a copepod breeder do you think I will be able to have the Mandarin Dragonet?

I think the tank is too small for the Flame Angelfish. I kinda want one too...

The flame angel with mandarin is not a good idea. My aunt used to keep a a trio of both and the angel would pick on the mandarins when they're bored from cleaning polyps

Another thing: a wrasse would wipe out any pods before the mandarin gets a chance to feed properly. In a large tank (150g+) you can keep them together, if you have a large fuge, but in anything smaller the wrasse will pick the rocks clean.

Tongue_Flicker said:
Any updates on your reef plans?
smile.png
Yes! Black Ocellaris Clowns (2), Jawfish blue dot (1), Royal Gramma Basslet (1), Mandarin Dragonet (1), I'm still thinking about the Flame Dwarf  Angel because I've heard people talking about it in smaller tanks and many said it's okay. I'll have to see about the Mandarin--Flame Angel because I will be adding the mandarin almost a year later so my tank has enough time to establish.

I dont know if a six line wrasse is still part of your plans but if it is id honestly avoid.

I know loads of people who have removed theirs, myself included. Mine managed to kill my small goby so hes now forever doomed to the timeout zone i call my sump! lol

If a wrasse is part of your plan though, which i hope it is theres plenty of peaceful & calm wrasses to choose from

Brilly91 said:
I dont know if a six line wrasse is still part of your plans but if it is id honestly avoid.

I know loads of people who have removed theirs, myself included. Mine managed to kill my small goby so hes now forever doomed to the timeout zone i call my sump! lol

If a wrasse is part of your plan though, which i hope it is theres plenty of peaceful & calm wrasses to choose from
I'm not planning on getting a Wrasse anymore of any kind btw. My stock list is above your post.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back