Are these female platys?

Elyria

New Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2024
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
Scotland
Hi, can someone confirm if these are female platys? I think they are going by what I’ve googled. My son got them about a week ago with his start up tank. My apologies if the images aren’t so clear.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5732.webp
    IMG_5732.webp
    95.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5724.webp
    IMG_5724.webp
    112.4 KB · Views: 152
Unless they are very young, yes they are female. You can tell by the fan shaped anal fin (the one underneath right in front of the tail). In males, it's rod shaped, called a gonopodium, rather than fan shaped.

If they are very young it's more difficult as baby male platies look like females and the anal fin only develops into a gonopodium at puberty. However, having said that yours do look like mature fish not juveniles.
 
Looking at those two pics, I'd say female.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top