What's new

Are there any wide body tetra that are active school like rummies?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰
Lemon tetras, red eye tetras, Buenos Aires tetras (they will munch your plants). The Buenos Aires will get the largest. X-rays probably school the best out of the previously mentioned, but they are pretty small. I don’t know the aggression of the bigger fish you want, but they may see x-rays as a proper lunch.
(Edit: sorry I don’t know the Latin names)
The winemilleri will be the largest most aggressive fish in the tank. They are not aggressive; rather peaceful but like all cichlid might eat anything that fits in the mouth. However they hang near the bottom. People have reported that similar fish (sveni) will eat cardinals and rummy if that help. Buenos are not an option due to plants.

The winemilleri will be the largest most aggressive fish in the tank. They are not aggressive; rather peaceful but like all cichlid might eat anything that fits in the mouth. However they hang near the bottom. People have reported that similar fish (sveni) will eat cardinals and rummy if that help. Buenos are not an option due to plants.
I have a mix of Buenos Aires, X-ray, lemon, and red eye (and one diamond that was in the wrong tank so ended up in with my Buenos couldn’t tell why it looked so different, thought it must have been some melanistic or albino version) in with my firemouth and polar blue. The tetras stick pretty much to the mid-uppers and the cichlids stay bottom with no issues at all.

The Bleeding Heart Tetras are quite fast swimmers.
But take note that they look quite like Rosy Tetras, Red Phantom Tetras or Serpae Tetras.
Bleeding Heart Tetras have a red dot on their body which distinguished them from the rest.
Red Phantom Tetras are slightly smaller than Bleeding Heart Tetras.

The Bleeding Heart Tetras are quite fast swimmers.
But take note that they look quite like Rosy Tetras, Red Phantom Tetras or Serpae Tetras.
Bleeding Heart Tetras have a red dot on their body which distinguished them from the rest.
Red Phantom Tetras are slightly smaller than Bleeding Heart Tetras.
I suspect the tank will be a bit too warm for them...

I suspect the tank will be a bit too warm for them...

In my opinion, they are ok with just 1degC higher.
It will be difficult to find fish with the exact temperature as Blue Rams.
You may have to abandon the idea of Blue Rams.
Or just keep a group of Rams with Cardinal Tetras, Green Neon Tetras, etc.
There are 3 colours of Rams - Blue Rams/German Blue Ram, Electric Blue Rams and Golden Rams,
Among these 3, Electric Blue Rams colours are the most striking especially in the dark.

But for your size of tank, bigger fish are better and can be seen clearly.
If the smaller fish go to the back of the tank, it will be harder to see them.
That's why when I first kept shrimps, I purposely bought a slim tank where I could see the small shrimps clearly even
when they are hiding at the back of the tank.

In my opinion, they are ok with just 1degC higher.
It will be difficult to find fish with the exact temperature as Blue Rams.
You may have to abandon the idea of Blue Rams.
Or just keep a group of Rams with Cardinal Tetras, Green Neon Tetras, etc.
There are 3 colours of Rams - Blue Rams/German Blue Ram, Electric Blue Rams and Golden Rams,
Among these 3, Electric Blue Rams colours are the most striking especially in the dark.

But for your size of tank, bigger fish are better and can be seen clearly.
If the smaller fish go to the back of the tank, it will be harder to see them.
That's why when I first kept shrimps, I purposely bought a slim tank where I could see the small shrimps clearly even
when they are hiding at the back of the tank.
I rather drop the winemilleri than drop the rams. I just don't have the room for another tank just for rams.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back