Are Tetra Stay Clean tablets bad for cichlid tanks??

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FishPal

Reaction score
I was wondering if useing the Tetra Stay Clean Tablets will drop my ph too low for my cichlid tank. How exactly does it affect the water?

Stay Clean Technology helps:
  • Reduce buildup on aquarium glass
  • Bind small dirt particles to make them easier to filter
  • Stabilize pH to prevent crashes

Point #2 sounds like a flocculant, which can cause particles to stick to gills.
Point #3 sounds as though it adds carbonate. The natural tendency of a tank is to become more acidic, especially if water changes are not done regularly, and adding carbonate will prevent a pH drop.

In my opinion this is just another product aimed at those who want fish as a low maintenance ornament and serious fish keepers should avoid such products. There's no substitute for proper tank maintenance.

When you're setting up, having a tank can look like a lot of work, and there are products galore to make that look easier. It's already easy though.

Change 25-30% of the water weekly. If the glass gets dirty slide a non scratching scraper along it, maybe every month for 5 minutes. Rinse out the filter every few weeks. Feed the fish. Enjoy.

I got a wonderful dog a few years ago, and she's many many times the work my multiple tank set up is. Fish are a pretty low energy set of pets. That doesn't stop the industry from trying to sell quick fixes to quick fixes.

Fishkeeping is full of gimmicks that try to persuade people to buy them and make life easier

Don't believe a bit of it

Any reason to pry the money from your hand a manufacturer will make it....snake oil.

I concur with others here. The bottom line is, do not add any additive or preparation to an aquarium except what is absolutely essential. Conditioner for example is for those using tap water essential. Plant additives might sometimes be needed, sometimes not. But beyond this, no. Fish need clean water, not some chemical soup, to live well.

Thank you for the replies!
I am taking it out now!

They came in the package with filters and was unsure if it would just help maintain ph, or what. The only conditioner I use is aqua safe for my tap water when I do a water change. I always try to do research before using anything, but they can really make things sound good lol. Being reminded to just do regular maintenance and watch the water regularly, basically to not overthink things, helps a lot. Thank you !!

Several aquabrands seem to have the urge to constantly produce "indispensable" products that are branded by using "emotions" often mentioning half (or even less) the truth or using unproven "facts" Think it is called "marketing".

We should with any product give it a second thought. If it is good to be true, it often is not true.

Most reactions

Back