Are My Water Changes Being Done Right?

mwood2

Fish Addict
Reaction score
A thought accured to me when I was doing my last water change. Since I got my tank going I have been doing 40-60% water changed every time my ammonia/nitrite levels have been high. Is that to much water to be doing a change?

My thinking is that if i do big a change is there to little for the bacteria i need to grow? My ammonia comes to 0-.25 every 24 hours while my nitrite comes to .50 and after the change ammonia is 0, Nitrite .25. This has been the way its been for a few days now. so I know I am on the second half of my cycle but are my water changes to big?

oh a question about Blood worms. For a single Molly fish how much of a cube should i feed? She seems to be very hungry seeing as she eats 3-4 flakes really quickly when I need her. Its only every other day I do it.

There was a post recently from Dr. Hovanec that the ideal growth rates happen around .14 ppm, at least for nitrite. With 40-60% changes, you won't be bringing it down too low. As long as there's measurable ammonia in the water, there's more than the bacteria can use - after all, what you're measuring is just the "leftovers."

For a blood worms, brake off a couple little bits about the size of flakes and feed a couple of those in place of the regular flake once or twice a week. Mollys will always be hungry, most livebearers are very greedy. Even after your cycle when you start increasing feeding, she'll greedily eat and eat and eat, and between meals will scour everything in the tank for a bit of food or algae.

Most reactions

Back