Are my tanks ok?

thapsus

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

I would appreciate opinions about my aquariums. Is there something seriously wrong?

18 gallons:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/133842...198415010TWhDUc

pH 6,8-7
gH 7
kH 4
NO2 0
NO3 5-15 depending on when I have changed water
~77F (did I calculate right?, ~25C)
filtration about 222 gal. in hour

fishes:
Borelli's Dwarf Cichlid pair (Apistogramma borellii)
7 Exclamation poin rasbora (Boraras urophthalmoides)
13 Boraras brigittae
4 Cherry Barb (Barbus titteya)
3 Coolie loaches (Pangio kuhlii)
2 Spotted Hill-Stream Loaches (Gastromyzon punctulatus)

biggest issues:
1.Cichlids are now about 1 1/2" long and rasboras about 1/2". Will rasboras be eaten soon or when both species are full grown? Does cichlid grow much faster than rasboras?

2. Is there too much fish in this tank? Should I buy own tank for the rasboras? If yes, how big?

20 gallons:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/133842...198405226pFnoMm

pH 6,8-7
gH 9
kH 5
NO2 0
NO3 10-20 depending on when I have changed water
~80F (did I calculate right?, ~26C)
filtration about 222 gal. in hour

fishes:
1 Betta splendens male
10 Silver-tipped tetra (Hasemania nana)
5 panda corys (Corydoras panda)
1 pleco, Ancistrus sp, looks like A. temminckii maybe (mix-breed plecos are very common in Finland)
http://community.webshots.com/photo/133842...198870892Nubexo

Biggest issues:
1. Could I put Sherry Barbs from 18 gal. here?

Thanks for all who bothered to read this and even bigger thanks to those who have energy to answer. :D I also must apologise my english again, please remember that it's not my mother language. I hope that I get units right. We use litres, centimetres and celcius degrees in finland.

Thanks!

At first glance the top tank looks very heavily stocked to me but if your water parameters are fine (which they are...) I'd say it's ok. However if msot or all of your fish are juveniles you might encounter problems when they are all at full size. I'm a little concerned about the hillstream loaches because they like cool, fast flowing water and the other fish prefer warmer water but I'm not an expert on them. :dunno:

In your situation I would probably move some fish from the 18g to the 20g, as the 20g is bigger volume but has less fish! (unless is has a really small surface area or something)

the 20g is really beautiful, I love the plants. :) I couldnt see the pic of the first tank though :unsure:

I have to agree that the first tank seems a little overstocked. Moving a few fish over to the 20 gallon would probably be a good idea.

I think the cherry barbs might nip the bettas tail, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I don't know how big the rasboras will get, but most dwarf cichlids don't get very big, and I wouldn't think they'd be able to eat the rasboras.

im fairly sure they wouldnt as cherry barbs are not typical of the barb family, they are very peaceful non-shoaling non-fin nipping fish :D though having said that i have never kept them with a betta. try it and see :)

I put the picture from smaller tank again. It should work now.

By the way, how many litres are 1 gallon. I rememberes that it's 4,5l, but I'm not sure anymore. Anyway, tanks are 80l and 90l in litres.

All rasboras all still small, about 1 cm (under 1/2") and will fullgrown be about 1 inch. So when they grow, I will buy own tank for them or least move cherry barbs somewhere else. Probably I will give them away.

And about the hillstream loaches. I'm little bit worried about them too. But they seem ok, they are active, eat well and so on. It's possible that oxygen in water and fast flowing water is the most important thing to them. If I get own tank to rasboras, I will put hillstream loaches with them. That's if I can catch them :lol:
My decorations go all over again every time I have to remove a fish.

Thanks all about your comments.

dixaisy930 said:
I have to agree that the first tank seems a little overstocked. Moving a few fish over to the 20 gallon would probably be a good idea.

I think the cherry barbs might nip the bettas tail, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I don't know how big the rasboras will get, but most dwarf cichlids don't get very big, and I wouldn't think they'd be able to eat the rasboras.
I wouldn't recomend it...most barbs even as passive as they are said to be still nip fins. Many people I know have had bad experiences with fighters and cherry barbs not to mention tigers :lol:

Most reactions

Back