Are my pygmy corys getting enough food?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Isn't Sodium Chloride " Salt " how does that soften the water
Yes sodium chloride is common table salt.

Some water softeners use an ion exchange resin. They take the calcium ions out of the water and replace them with sodium ions. This reduces the general hardness (calcium chloride) but increases the salinity (salt level from sodium chloride) in the water coming out of the tap. You end up with softer water that has more salt in it.

Sodium chloride (salt) is bad for people and most animals and fish in high doses or when ingested regularly. It damages the heart and kidneys.

Some types use potassium ions in the resin and these use potassium chloride to recharge. Since fresh water doesn't contain any potassium worth speaking of either, this type is also not good for fish.

They are called softeners simply because they make the water softer - they remove calcium and magnesium. Since sodium or potassium aren't measured in hardness, there can be a huge amount of sodium/potassium ions in the water and it's still called soft.

Ok everyone, I appreciate your advice, and after spending today reading through the articles and you alls explainations, plus visiting 2 more hobbyists for answers, I think I will keep my water the way it is. I understand that in your view I may be harming my fish; while this may be true, people who swear by both sides of the hard vs soft debate are telling me completely opposite things and I simply have no way of knowing. I will do my due diligence to keep your suggestions in mind in the future, and will come back if there are any new problems.

Ok, I have been doing this for a while now and usually 3 or 4 corys find it before they are descended upon by some cardinals and my mollies. Like I said, if they are getting enough food by sharing the wafers and eating fungus and the very few leftovers, I wouldn't worry, but if not I am looking for something else to help them out.
Gemtrox i have 14 corys in my tank and i feed them Tetra mini tabs, they have a tablet split in half and while eating it if throws off small food and the fish take it in so your cardinals would be well fed off them plus i give my corys bottom pellets besides, while i grind bug bites into the water for my other fish. Min tabs are a good feed for fish.

As you can see the fish loving it besides my cories.

Attachments

• IMG_20200227_145102_4 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200227_145102_4 (2).jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20200227_145122_1 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200227_145122_1 (2).jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 50

Most reactions

trending

Back