Are my platy male of female?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cutechic

Sol
Reaction score
I was just wondering if my red platies were male or female. I think they're both males, but I'm not 100% sure. Here are some pics:

cutechic-reds2.jpg
cutechic-reds1.jpg

Sorry about the poor picture quality!

Edit: sorry for the typo in the thread's title. It's supposed to say "or". :X

Cant really see very clearly but females have a fan shaped anal fin and males have an elongated gonopidium,also females are bigger than males. ^_^

Looks like a male and a female to me.
On the picture on the right, the one on top is a male, bottom one is a female.

Really? They used to be the same size, but now the one you said is a male is bigger. He chases the other one around the tank sometimes, so what you said makes sense. I looked at their fins really closely and can't see any difference :dunno:

;) It's really easy to tell males from females after you know what to look for. On the underside of the platy, there is a fin that's shaped diferently in males and females. In the males, it's pointed while the females are fan-like. Hope this helps! :thumbs:

Fish on the bottom of the picture on the right side looks more like female. cause its got a triangle shaped anal fin. Males have pointy fins near their butt.

Sasha said:
;) It's really easy to tell males from females after you know what to look for. On the underside of the platy, there is a fin that's shaped diferently in males and females. In the males, it's pointed while the females are fan-like. Hope this helps! :thumbs:
They both seem to have pointy-shaped fins underneath :dunno:

Thanks, the link does help. They're both males. Even though they act like a male and a female. Ah well. Thanks again :)

Most reactions

Back