Are my guppies pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Nstr95

Reaction score
Hi!

so I bought a couple guppies from the pet store a little over a week ago, and today I found 2 babies in my tank!
4000B116-02AB-40E5-A1D3-8374639794EC.jpeg
I canā€™t tell which one of these would be the mama, theyā€™ve both had those dark spots since I got them and the orange one has always been huge.
B5245443-6CD8-454D-A7F0-20EEFFCD90F0.jpeg
72D2FE3A-2423-4B39-9AD2-CFE35394A4B0.jpeg
Iā€™ve separated them for now, but Iā€™m not sure how fast the birthing process is and if the mother wouldā€™ve given birth to all her fry already and Iā€™m just finding the survivors. (BTW babies are not in the same tank as the adults!)

I thought I read once when one of my Mollyā€™s were pregnant that they look like the mom, so Iā€™m maybe guessing the yellow one?

Thanks Iā€™m advance for any help! :)

So fun fact , they can store sperm for a bit of time . Very likely she gave birth or the uncommon tiny fry getting stuck in the bag and you didnā€™t notice them

Let those two grow up and see how they will develop. Who knows...? Maybe they'll turn out very beautiful...

Are the moms both in the same breeder together?
The pic looks like they are?
The fry look like they are a day or 2 old as the yolk sacks have almost been absorbed. Here is a pic of some of my newborns to compare
You may notice the differences? Newborns almost look deformed

Attachments

• 20210110_183255.jpg
    20210110_183255.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 63
Are the moms both in the same breeder together?
The pic looks like they are?
The fry look like they are a day or 2 old as the yolk sacks have almost been absorbed. Here is a pic of some of my newborns to compare
You may notice the differences? Newborns almost look deformed
I had them both in the same breeder because I didnā€™t know which one was pregnant and giving birth and I wanted to monitor, but theyā€™re back in the tank now
And thanks for the tip! If theyā€™re a day or two old the rest must be gone :/ oh well, glad I could save a few at least!
Do you know how quickly the mother gives birth to her all her fry?

Depends really on Tank Conditions,Tank mates, Stress being a big factor. They can take a while though, ive read they can take upto 1 day to release all the fry
I find that its easier for me (not for everybody) to let the mom have her fry in the tank, Provide them with lots of hiding places & then collect the fry afterwards.
There are mostly always survivors that hide for weeks & you will never see them
Ive had lots of the fry hide, When they have grown a little & are stronger they will come out on their own & join the others. Not always the case, if you want to keep a lot more of the fry i just collect them up after they have given birth & put them in the breeder for a few weeks. I have a seperate breeding tank so its not a problem

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back