Are Hot Water Heaters Safe For Fish?

JamesMac

New Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The new-age health guru Dr. Weil has suggested in one of his books that humans should never consume (or even cook) with water derived from a hot water tank. Is there any known risk of blending household hot water when replacing aquarium water?

James Mac
 
Depends how you heat the water.
I have one of those heats as you need it deals, so there is never water sitting in a tank, make for never running out of hot water too :)

I would think a fairly new hotwater tank would be fine, and an appartment/condo boiler would cycle the water pretty fast so I dont think that would matter either.
 
I never had any PROBLEM with them, and Keeping Fish....

And I've been keeping Fish for 37+ Years.

The only thing I know that Hurts Fish from the Water Heater, Is if the Waters to HOT!!!! DUH!!!!
Nough Said....
 
It depends a lot on your water system. In the U.S., water is usually heated in a 35 to 50 gallon tank, under pressure from the main water line. While some lime scale can occur over time in this sort of system, it is usually harmless in a properly maintained hot water heater. This means shutting it down & draining it every 6 months.

The-Wolf sent me this link a while back to help me understand the way hot water is often heated in the U.K.; http://www.gasconnect.co.uk/central/conventional.html

As you can see, the hot water tank above the living area is not under pressure, and many times open at the top. This means anything can, and does fall in. This could cause a problem with aquariums.

I have hot water heater under pressure, & have been filling my tanks with water heated to tank temperature for years. It works just fine.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top