Are Ammonia/ph Alerts Accuret At All?

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
So a thought came to me. A week ago I was at my LFS and saw ammonia and PH alert things. They sit in the water and the dial turns depending on the Ammonia/PH levels. There suppose to last 3 months and keep track of everything. While I am pretty sure these are pretty inaccurate would it be worth keeping on hidden inside to get an idea as to when levels change at all? Even if it is somewhat off so you know when you should accurately check it with a liquid test kit? I know you should always check weekly to make sure everything is fine but just as an extra precaution?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=15444

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...amp;pcatid=4387
 
I havent seen those before! I personally just keep up on water changes and use my api kit, though if you have having bouts of trouble or for peace of mind, it may be worth trying them out. The descriptions on the linked ones say they last up to a year which would be more worthwhile?
 
I think I might buy the ammonia one and give a test. I will fill up a container of de chlorinated water and then put it inside then slowly drop some ammonia inside. From there I can see if it can give any idea of how much ammonia I put in and if its safe. Depending on the result I will place in my tank and use it as an extra eye for problems. I will still do weekly water changes of course but this should be an interested experiment.

also another thought came to me. If this is even somewhat accuret I would think it useful in fishless cycling. This way instead of testing everyday for results you could just wait for the color to change slowly. Once you show changes use a liquid test kit and get an idea as to the state your in.
 
Let us know how you get on! It will be good for someone to test this product in this way, also by having the safe parameters beforehand it should help give peace of mind it is actually working. Be interested to hear back what you find :)
 
I know seachem do one that is a little dearer but lasts a year - not tried them though.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top