Aquarium Sealant/silicone

rossyboy

Fishaholic
Joined
Dec 26, 2007
Messages
423
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leeds, UK
Hi guys, just been setting up my new aquarium and used some Black aquarium grade silicone to fix in place a nice Juwel background to the rear of my tank.

I did this yesterday at about 2/3pm.

When is it safe to fill with water? The instructions on the tube said to ensure a good seal when fixing 2 panes of glass together, allowed 48 hours before filling.

But i'm just fixing a polystyrene backdrop in... so my question is, Will it be safe to fill tonight and get my fish moved over (from a smaller setup).




ps- 2 external filters, mature media, old tank contents (substrate, rocks) and majority of the old tanks water will be transferred over at the same time.
 
I would give it until tomorrow just to make sure the silicone has cured and wont leech anything back into the tank to be on the safe side.
 
Hmm, I guess i'm too damn inpatient lol

I have time on my hands tonight, but not so much tomorrow onwards... so just thought i'd see if it was possible.
 
oh no, i've already got a setup.

Just upgrading! I keep Lake Tanganikyan cichlids :)
 
Various really, but including-

Neolamprologus leleupi
Lamprologus signatus
Neolamprologus brevis
Neolamprologus brichardi
Gold head compressicep
Calvus (Black)
Leptosoma

And a few others, a good variety to be honest
 
Give it at least 48 hours, as the tube says. If you can still smell silicone after that, it needs still more time :nod:
 
Give it at least 48 hours, as the tube says. If you can still smell silicone after that, it needs still more time :nod:



Yer still a bit 'vinegary' lol- i'll smell again tomorrow!

Ps- what would happen if you did fill early? (Not that I am going to), would it release toxins and kill the fish?
 
I'm not 100% shure TBH, but the solvents that are used and that gas off during curing (hence the smell) are probibly going to crash the pH, since the smell is Acetic Acid. Whether this will be the only thing leached is a tough question that I don't know the answer to, but I would not want to find out :unsure:

All the best
Rabbut
 

Most reactions

Back
Top