Aquarium Literature

anje

Reaction score
Hello.

Can anyone recommend some good freshwater aquarium literature?

I currently own "The Complete Book of the Freshwater Aquarium" by Vincent B. Hargreaves. I recently ordered "500 Freshwater Aquarium Fish" ed. by Greg Jennings and "Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants" by Peter Hiscock.

I'm especially interested books but also any magazines, etc. (don't know if it makes any difference but keep in mind I live in the US). I'd appreciate it.

I have several books myself and the best one I have is "The Idiots guide to Aguarium Fish"

What are you looking to learn?

If you want lots of species information the Baensch Atlases can't be beat, and the Aqualog species books are also very good. If you are looking for more general information, Gina Sandford's Understanding Tropical Fish is excellent, as is Mary Bailey and Peter Burgess's Tropical Fishlopaedia. If you want information about planted aquariums, Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium is exceptionally excellent, though very technical and can be a difficult read if you aren't scientifically minded. If you want to delve even deeper, the university level ichthylogy texts are all good starting points. Amazon.com has several listed. I find the reviews on Amazon, in general, to be pretty good. I am sure you can find more books on there to read than you ever knew existed.

Don't like those "Idiot's Guide" or "...for Dummies" type books. Too simple-general.

I like those encyclopedia-type ones, packed full of info esp. w/ details on species of plants and fish.

Haha, I'm on Amazon all the time browsing and reading reviews! That atlas sounds great.

I've been interested in Dr. Axelrod's stuff for a while now, but it's so expensive...

I will soon be majoring in Zoology for four years, so I guess I'll find out more than I ever needed to know (I hope) lol.

Most reactions

Back