Aquarium filter stopped working

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

vio88

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just unplugged everything, cleaned my ten gallon tank, cleaned the filter and then plugged it all back in again. At first the filter worked worked and everything seemed fine then I came back a few minutes later and the filter was silent and not putting out any water. I tried pulling all the innards of the filter out and then plugging into different outlets about the house, thinking that I would hear the motor go if the intake tube or impeller was plugged or if the outlet quit working for some reason but the filter remained silent. So my guess is the motor is toast. Is there anything else I can do to fix it?

I got this filter used and it is an Aquatech power filter 5-15.

I have a few of those filters. Bang it on the bottom against your counter. Iā€™m serious, works every time! Whatā€™s to lose? A new one is lIke $15.

if the motor is removable from the housing , remove it and then remove the impeller and clean with a small brush and also clean the metal shaft it spins on. If motor is not removable, maybe you can remove the impeller from the housing from above and then clean it. The entire housing should be drained and cleaned at least monthly. The media should be cleaned in tank water at least every two weeks.

My 5 year old aquaclear 50 filter, sometimes will not restart even though clean. When that happens, I remove the intalke tube, and stick a long thin ice pick against a blade of the impeller and give it a bit of a spin...it will generally then restart.

um... ok like kicking a computer was my thought...... tried it put it all back together and filled it with water incase my filter is just that quiet and sure enough it works now. THANKS!

I told you. People think Iā€™m nuts but it works every time. Iā€™ve only had one actually die on me. Lol! Now, I wouldnā€™t try it on an expensive filter...well, I might. Lol!

huh will keep that in mind Fishmaniac, in that filter the impeller is removable but the motor is not. So either wiping it down again when it already seemed clean or whacking it or letting it dry made it work again. Regardless it works now so thanks guys!

I told you. People think Uā€™m nut but it works every time. Iā€™ve only had one actually die on me. Lol!

Electronics do seem to work when ya whack them for some reason. My other filter is probably pretty old got it used too and it has seemed to stop working before. That one seems to work if I put it all back together, fill it with water plug it in and then loosen the motor from its plastic casing. I don't have to do it all the way and usually no water leaks but then for some reason the motor starts again and I can tighten it in and leave it go.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back