AquaClear Question

pmoyniha

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to aquariums, and to be honest I have comitted most of the mistakes mentioned. I wish I had read a bit more before I started buying fish, however such is life.

Anyways, I have read and understand why the Amrid media for AquaClear filters is a bit of a waste of money if not harmful to my aquarium, but what about the Charcoal? In my 20 gal. aquarium I have live plants and a school of 6 Head and tail light tetras a pleco and a couple Clown Loaches. (One or both clown loaches will go to my brother when they get bigger). I have heard different opinions on the charcoal and I was just wondering what the wisdom of the group had to say?

Thanks,
Pat

It was suggested by many people that AMrid clears up the Ammonia from the water and as such it doesnt allow a "proper" cycle to set up in your aquarium..

pmoyniha said:
why is this though?
IMO, I don't think charcoal has any benefits unless you want to clear out some meds you used. It costs more and only lasts a couple days. After that you're only use for it is as a bed for beneficial bacteria to colonize. You change carbon more often than filter floss taking that bacteria out anyways. With filter floss I only change it twice a year.

Costs are another reason. Filter floss costs about $1.50 per bag and a bag lasts for years.

JMO tho and if you like it that's fine. Always go with what you think works best. :)

Ok Charcoal and carbon are pretty much the same thing and I've heard that carbon filters can actually "sterilise" (for want of better words) bacteria/viruses etc as soon as its removed and problems can come back with a vengence. Also if the charcoal is not changed regularly enough any toxins etc that are removed from the water can start to leech back in again.

Baloney.........I have been using Aqua Clear filters and SWEAR by their media bags. I use charcola all the time and when I add new fish or cycling{the first 6 months} I use the ammonia bags. I also use the ammonia bags if I am going to be away on vacation. I will at times use 2 bags of charcoal at the same time. You should see how crystal clear my water is when I do this. My water is always gorgeous but it actually glows when I use the 2 bags. I usually use 2 bags after I have had to use medication for Ich in my big display tank. When in doubt-TRUST your self!!! There are tons of different thoughts on EVERYTHING.
Deb

pmoyniha said:
How often is often enough when it comes to cleaning the carbon?
Well, unless you get top of the line carbon that lasts a week 1/2-2 weeks, the rest of the carbon only lasts a few days or so. It's up to you how often you want to change it after that. If anyone uses carbon longer than that without changing it, it's NOT doing anything.

I suggest trying filter floss for a while and seeing what you like best and make the decision yourself based upon what you like best.

Like I said, IMO carbon is worthless but others seem to like it. I've never had cleaner and clearer (there is a difference) water than when I used floss and I won't ever use carbon, and don't, on any of my tanks.

I've read accounts where some say that carbon actually takes some purites out of the water that fish need. I'm not a scientist conducting my own studies on it so I can't say for sure, but I've heard it from more than just a few sources.

Personally I would trust whatever smb has to say......I discontinued using carbon in 3/4 of my tanks so far because of what I learned from him and they are all just as, if not clearer with floss than with carbon!!!! :p :p :p

I really love AquaClear filters and have them on all my tanks. However, the only insert I use is the sponge; the rest of the filter is stuffed full of filter floss. My tanks are definitely sparkly clear.

90% of my filters are aquaclears.....of pretty much all sizes! I love them too! You can even buy little baggies for them to put the floss in!

May have to get hold of some floss to try. My fluval I've just filled the space between the sponge pads with loads of tiny glass beads to see if that makes a difference, being a 10gal tank the levels can fluctuate quite quickly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back