Aqua One Tropical Conditioning Salts For Nitrite Poisoning?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Convictlover

Reaction score
Hi all, been dealing with a nitrite spike for the last 7-10 days at 0.25ppm. Currently doing water changes everyday to try and get it down to 0 but itā€™s not really working atm (Iā€™ve done another threat for that proborn). šŸ˜

In the meantime Iā€™ve been adding Aqua One Tropical Conditioning Salts in the tank as Iā€™ve heard salt can stop the nitrite being absorbed by the fish until I can fix the issue. Is this product actually salt or should I be using another type of salt? If so what?

Also, Iā€™ve only been adding the salt to the water I am replacing when I do water changes. Is this correct or do I need to add more to the tank? My tank is 65L. What would be the correct dosage to treat nitrite poisoning?

ah - that a pity - I was having a consistent 0.25 reading from a test strips that turned out to clear zeros using two brands of liquid tests.

I cant think how to help you, except maybe just have patience.

0.25ppm I have read is where the nitrite "begins" to poison fish, so temporarily it may not be too big a problem.

I assume you have tested the tap-water?

I don't anything about the salt you are asking about, hopefully someone does in case I have similar problem one day and will remember this thread...

I wonder if chemical media like carbon or purigen would help in the meantime? And doesn't prime temporarily detoxify nitrite? I mean if you are doing daily water changes anyhow....

From Aqua One's website
Aqua One conditioning salts replenish natural minerals that are deficient in tap water as well as minerals removed from aquarium water by plants and fish......The conditioning salts help to ensure long term health of aquarium fish while replicating conditions found in natural waterways.

Since common salt, sodium chloride, is not found in freshwater in the wild, this product is not the salt needed for nitrite problems. You need something like API aquarium salt.

This link tells you how much to use. Too much salt is not good for fresh water fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back