Aqua Nano 40

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

miz.mart

Reaction score
I have owned one of these tanks for around 6 months now. I haven't had much luck with 2 paradise fish killing off almost everything, so I found a new home for them and stocked the tank with non aggressive tropical fish. The problem now is they are jumping out of the tiny gaps in the glass top. The guppies and the clown loach have jumped so far. I've had the water tested, its fine, the guy in the fish shop said that fish are natural jumpers with good eye sight, has anybody else had this problem with this tank? I've had to put some plastic bags in the gaps which spoils the look of the tank.
Could it be there is not enough oxygen in the tank, perhaps I should put another air line in??

Hello and welcome to the forum! 
welcomeani.gif

Oh dear, sounds like you have not had much luck with your nano tank so far. Sorry for your losses that you've had.

A few guppies are fine in your tank but am afraid the clown loach is going to grow too big for your tank, they actually grow to about a foot long and do best in groups of at least 6+ 
confused.gif

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus/?searchterm=clown%20loach

Sorry about that.

First off, I'll let you know I have Aqua Nano 30 which is basically exactly the same design as your tank, just smaller 
smile.png

I have to agree that the design of this nano tank lid is not the best due to those gaps on side of tank and in front corner. I have endlers, and these are notorious jumpers, I have had them jump in the heater/pump compartment!
Also I keep a few orange shrimps and live plants as well
smile.png

My remedy for this lid design, well I made a DIY lid so am not sure if you or your hubby with a bit of DIY nous can do something like this perhaps. But will hopefully give you ideas on what you can do though.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/426468-aqua-nano-30-diy-lid/?hl=%2Baqua+%2Bnano+%2Bdiy+%2Blid

Hope that helps a little bit.

Guppies are known as jumpers; clown loach aren't though, so I suspect there is something going on, apart from just natural inclination.

It is very unlikely to be lack of oxygen, as long as you've got the powerhead making a few ripples on the surface. I have the same tank, and have blocked the filter almost completely off (I have fish and shrimps that don't like a lot of flow) an have no issues with oxygen.

Ammonia and nitrite can affect the fish's ability to take up oxygen, and could cause them to act as if the tank is lacking oxygen, so we'd really need numbers from the tests to rule that out completely.

Bullying and/or stress; either from poor water, or inappropriate stocking could also cause fish to jump out; exactly what fish, and how many do you have now?

Most reactions

Back