Appropriate Betta Tankmates In 10 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DWC

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I would like suggestions for Tankmates for a male betta in a 10 gallon tank, ph7, temp 78F, small sponge filter, heavily planted with Java Fern on Driftwood. I had 8 male bettas in 1/2 gallon canning jars in the tank (75% twice weekly jar water changes) with the tank being essentially a water bath to heat the jars but I rehomed all except my favorite two who each are in their own 10 gallon tank.

Shoal (6?) of Neons? Trio of Endler's or wild type guppies? Small albino corys? Zebra danios (too active?). Shrimp? Any other suggestions. Looking to keep stocking light, not compete with betta for food. I'll probably shoot for weeks 30% water changes.

Thanks

Well.. this is my experience with Neons..... they nip and they need space to swim..

This is what I learned.... No endlers/guppies! The betta will attack them and they like cooler waters plus a higher PH than a betta would like..

Zebra Danios.. yes too active and if I remembered correctly, they like fast current at the top which is not ideal for a betta..

Shrimps seem a safe bet since you have a heavy planted tank.. just be prepared for some lost shrimps though..

I'm sorry I didn't help in suggesting new tankmates! :p I can't think of any at the moment..

But someone will come along to help! :)

Ive had guppies with a betta before and if its heavily planted then the line of sight is broken so id say you can try that, or some shrimp, pretty much any of them sept crystal red and flower shrimp. Maybe get some rabbit snails?

I had a betta with some harlequin rasboras in a 10 gallon with  no problems. 

betta do not like tank mates. you could try some shrimp but make sure there's plenty of hiding places and your tank should be a bit 'long' instead of a high 10gal

I appreciate your ideas, getting back into fish keeping slowly after decades away. Though I have kept many fish over the years, most exotic was a Mbuna tank in late 70's. Adding Shrimp or maybe a largish snail or two intrigues me though I have never kept invertebrates other than the minuscule pond snails that arrived uninvited on plant purchases. How hard are invert's? Are the shrimp safe from too much predation from my Betta? He does remain in the upper part of the water column nearly exclusively. Thanks for sharing your expertise. A quartet of Oto's too much? I will look into the Rasbora, would 6 strain a 10 gallon?

DWC said:
I would like suggestions for Tankmates for a male betta in a 10 gallon tank, ph7, temp 78F, small sponge filter, heavily planted with Java Fern on Driftwood. I had 8 male bettas in 1/2 gallon canning jars in the tank (75% twice weekly jar water changes) with the tank being essentially a water bath to heat the jars but I rehomed all except my favorite two who each are in their own 10 gallon tank.

Shoal (6?) of Neons? Trio of Endler's or wild type guppies? Small albino corys? Zebra danios (too active?). Shrimp? Any other suggestions. Looking to keep stocking light, not compete with betta for food. I'll probably shoot for weeks 30% water changes.

Thanks
otocinclus catfish three cories maybe dull coloured fish bottom dwellers are best

I wouldn't put much in a ten gallon, most of the fish that are easy to keep with bettas are schoolers. I'd try some ghost shrimp, those are probably my favorite little dudes to put with my betta.

I recently had the same question I asked on a different forum, pretty much you can get some snails and shrimp, or an African Dwarf Frog since they swim but don't look like a fish to a betta. 

I have no experience yet though since I experienced some set backs with learning to test my water and finding out I have tons of ammonia therefor over the years I had it, it never properly cycled, so no introductions until I figure that out.

Don't get neon tetras, I had a little school I introduced when I had a female betta tank going and she ended up attacking the school, so i'd hate to see what happens with a male!

best of luck!

My betta likes to gaze at the female honey gourami through the glass (the are tank neighbors)... I always imagine they are having a telepathic affair.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back