Apple Snail Eggs

SexyFishKeeper

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
321
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cheltenham, UK
Wow, today I found a massive clutch of eggs laid by my apple snail.

Funny thing is I only have (a mrs!) apple snail but apparently they can hold onto sperm for ages. I must of got her well before Christmas!

I think they are infertile, but then I remember a few days ago, I did see what was a small baby snail around the tank after not putting anything in!

So, is there anything I need to do?!

2008-03-02.jpg
 
Wow, today I found a massive clutch of eggs laid by my apple snail.

Funny thing is I only have (a mrs!) apple snail but apparently they can hold onto sperm for ages. I must of got her well before Christmas!

I think they are infertile, but then I remember a few days ago, I did see what was a small baby snail around the tank after not putting anything in!

So, is there anything I need to do?!

2008-03-02.jpg


well im pretty sure it should be in the water? idk
 
Some apple snails put the eggs above the water line (apparently)

Apple snails crawl out of the water to lay their eggs.
Normally on the side of the tank or on the condensation tray if you have one. The eggs should be kept reasonably moist but not put in the water (the embryos will drown). After a couple of weeks you may see the babys crawling around. If you have loaches in the tank they may well thank you for the extra food!

Out of several batches of eggs I have only ever had two baby snails. In most instances the eggs either dried up or fell into the water. I was not anxious to have hundreds of baby snails in my tanks so I just let the eggs be and let nature take it's course.

You could take the eggs out if you don't want the babys.

I must say that apple snails are sometimes more interesting than the fish :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top