Apple Snail + Crayfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Gix

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 20 US gallon tank that I want to set up with no heater. My two best ideas are to keep a crayfish and to keep apple snails. Naturally, it would be great if I could combine these two ideas and keep a crayfish and maybe 2 or 3 apple snails in the tank. They should both appreciate a 20 gallon, unheated tank with high pH to keep their shells/exoskeletons healthy. However, I have no idea how a crayfish would react to an apple snail. Would it just not care, and coexist peacefully? Or would the snails become snacks? Let me know if any of you have tried this.

Just based on what I know, this doesn't sound like it will be a good idea. If no one knows for sure, I'll probably just choose one species. I'd rather not lose the snails.

Ahh. I figured that might be the case. ;)

Thanks a lot for finding that out!

No, sorry, you can't. I know this from experience. I used to feed my crays snails, they could break the shells like nothing.
Sean

Get a blue florida cray from this guy and some goldfish, you know the .05 cent feeders. The will become dinner, but they add a little movement to the tank.

www.bluecrayfish.com

I am a member over there and these are some dedicated enthusiasts. Tank setup and such is covered in their forum. Actually everything about all the different breeds is on there.

They just got in some whites that are cool.
whitecrayfish1_1.JPG

I prefer blue personally. The shell coloration on some is amazing. Be careful to check grow out size on your pick, some of these things get big.
71631007.jpg

cray.jpg

No affiliation other than I am an info mooch on that site.

This is a single breed/ single occupant tank once you put a cray, you realize that right? Nothing will live long with a healthy crayfish. Not when the lights go out.

Loks like you have your answer, but just to add my experience, i got my snail from a place that kepy their mystery snails and crayfish together, and i made sure i asked for one that wasn't already chewed, becaus some of those snails were just being eaten alive.

Most reactions

Back