aponogeton bulbs from walmart

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

gale

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I put 3 in my small tank. 2 are buried and one is half buried. The half buried one has a halo of white fuzz around it-should I take it out? Or is this normal for bulbs? Should I do anything else? Check the buried ones? They've been in there about 2 days, I think.

eta: I also put one in my big tank but it's fully buried.

White fuzz is not good. It is probably mould. If only one is affected, I'd oik it out. If the bulb feels firm, give it a good wash and try again, if it is soft, chuck it.

Also From my experiance they seem to grow better if not fully buryed. I usually place it just a tad bit under the sand/gravel. In a few of weeks the roots will be well spread out and new shoots will start going twards the top.

These bulbs are awsome. It is amazing how fast they grow. Literally in a coupl of hours it will grow a few inches. But maybe that is just some of the freaky ones I have.

Also when they die off remove them from the tank and let dry out of a month or so before putting back into tank.

I have about 20 of these in different tanks and they grow fast! The new stems and flowers can reach the top of an aquarium in about 5 hours. It's crazy :alien:

Sean_Buckley said:
A few inches in a couple of hours? :huh: Are you sure? :S
Sean
I am dead positive.

My wife and I had a get together a month and half ago and the conversation early in the afternoon went to out 30 gallon and how fast these bulbs grow. Later the the evening one of the ones that was the tallest had grown noticably a few inches. It wasn't just me either we all noticed it.

Do not bury the bulbs. jsut sit them on top of the substrate, they will soon release a small sprout and a leaf and roots will came after and they find there way into your substrate. the fuzz your talking about is normal. I get it too. I have so many aponogetons I dont know what to do with them. It just where they are getting soft and about to sprout.

yes they do grow fast, the runners are best clipped off to get newer leaf growths instead of runners, making a fuller more lush/bushy plant.

<3 aponogetons

Thanks everyone. I took the fuzzy one out earlier, just in case, and put it in a paper cup of tank water. The other two I dug up and they're sitting on the gravel now. I couldn't find the one in my big tank but I didn't look for very long. I'll check again later tonight.

Most reactions

Back