Apisto's Flicking Tails?

bexbeckybex

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I bought a pair of apisto viejita's on the weekend. I'v noticed that they seem to be doing a lot of tail flicking at each other and also at my pair of gold rams. Is this a sign of aggression or are they trying to 'display'? They seemed a bit miffed at the rams, chasing them off and generally giving them a hard time. This is true for both the male and female apisto. I'm hoping that it's just a teething problem and everything will settle down eventually and they will pair up and chill out. It seems odd that the rams were there first but are the victims here. If it is a territorial thing then wouldn't the rams assert their authority since they were there first? I dunno.......

Tail flicking could be them displaying to each other and chasing the Rams off sounds like they're protecting their own territorial area.

Just because the Rams were there first doesn't mean they will be in charge though. The more dominant fish will take over...

How big is your tank and what else is in it?

I feared as much! wouldn't it be nice if they could all just get along? The female spawned I think coz she made a pretty nifty cave under a rock. Dont know what happened to them though :/ i'v got a 55L with 2 Rams, 2 apisto's, 3 pentazona barb, 4 neons and 2 shrimp. Don't think I can get much more in tbh. I'm having issues at the moment though... another saga! The lamp on the aquarium has blown so I have no lighting and the male ram had managed to rip half his tail off somehow :( I can't get a proper look at him coz its too damn dark. I'm contemplating setting up a hospital tank and putting the male and female ram in until he recovers but then I don't wanna disrupt their little pecking order they've established. These fish are putting years on me lol! 

sad news. The male ram is dying. I found him this morning stuck against the filter grill. Have switched off power and have considered setting up hospital tank. I think it is too late. Don't want to stress him out anymore :(

Most reactions

Back