Apistogramma Panduro Advise

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hexy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought this fish recently and its having trouble settling into my tank. The tank is supposed to be a 'panduro only' one and I definitely have a male and female who are showing fantastic colours. However the below fish is bullied and despite having numerous hiding caves is always hidding behind the heater or filter. is this even a panduro it doesnt have similar colours only the face marking. And it was sold as a female yet doesnt seem one? Is it normal that a 'third' is bullied?

Apologies for the pictures, the fish seemed very stressed and after a week have decided to move it to its own tank:

IMG_5960_2.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

Thanks for advise

Incidentally this is the male that bullies it:

IMG_5952_2.jpg

hexy

1 Male and several females normally works out fish but more than one male unless in a big tank is a bad idea. Like your seeing one male will often be dominat and bully the other. I think your best or rehoming it or trying to swap it for a female.

1 Male and several females normally works out fish but more than one male unless in a big tank is a bad idea. Like your seeing one male will often be dominat and bully the other. I think your best or rehoming it or trying to swap it for a female.

Thanks Kizno. Do you think this is a male though? I bought it as a female so it should be 2 females to the 1 male?

Not all apistos are harem spawners and simply do better in pairs. If you're going to have more than one female, its always better to have 3 or more to spread the aggression out, just as you would do with Mbuna or livebearers.

Thanks Kizno. Do you think this is a male though? I bought it as a female so it should be 2 females to the 1 male?

The black edge to the pelvic fins would generally indicate a female.

Not all apistos are harem spawners and simply do better in pairs. If you're going to have more than one female, its always better to have 3 or more to spread the aggression out, just as you would do with Mbuna or livebearers.

The black edge to the pelvic fins would generally indicate a female.

Thanks see more photos:

IMG_5951.jpg

IMG_5950_2.jpg

IMG_5948_2.jpg

That looks like a very stressed out skinny female to me.
Panduro do well in pairs aswell according to my research, i'd personally remove the 'weak' female.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back