Apistogramma Agassizii care

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If I got a few banana lily plants could that cover the to water enough to make the fish more comfortable?

That is one of the most difficult aquarium plants to keep alive more than a very few months. Regular floating plants like Water Sprite (ideal), Frogbit or Water Lettuce are better. Or one of the stem plants, some grow quite nice left floating; Pennywort is one I have had good results from.

are those ones that are easy to manage? Where if I wanted to get rid of it I wouldn’t have a hard time?

I assume you are referring to duckweed, which some aquarists view as a "pest" among plants because of its rapid propagation and being so small a plant or two can easily be overlooked and next week there could be a dozen.

True floating plants like those I mentioned are extremely beneficial not only for shade and calming all fish but for water quality; they are frequently termed ammonia sinks for that reason.

Photos below show Water Sprite, Ceratopteris cornuta.

Attachments

• Ceratopteris cornuta1.jpg
    Ceratopteris cornuta1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Ceratopteris cornuta3.jpg
    Ceratopteris cornuta3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Ceratopteris cornuta4.jpg
    Ceratopteris cornuta4.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 91
For those would I need any fertilizer?

Probably, though it does depend upon the natural nutrtient sources (water changes, fish feeding, decomposition of organics primarily in the substrate). A complete/comprehensive liquid fertilizer is best as then you won't be overdosing any one nutrient which can always lead to possible algae problems. Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium (Seachem product) is what I have been using for over a decade now, and another basically the same is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. The smallest sized bottle will last you months in the one tank, these are good supplements.

Do you know if like 3 moss balls can make some micro organisms for the Apisto fry to feed on for a little bit sometimes? Should I get a spong filter? And can I install an air stone to a sponge filter? Do you have any ways to catch Kuhli loaches easy?

Do you know if like 3 moss balls can make some micro organisms for the Apisto fry to feed on for a little bit sometimes? Should I get a spong filter? And can I install an air stone to a sponge filter? Do you have any ways to catch Kuhli loaches easy?

On the moss balls, I expect so. A biofilm forms on all surfaces covered by tank water, and in this film there are bacteria, algae and microscopic critters. Once you have eggs, I would add some dried leaves to the tank; they will float initially but sink after a couple days and they should be then lying on the substrate. These produce infusoria as they begin to decompose, and this is the best food for fry, and studies have proven that fry grow faster when dried leaves are in the tank no matter what else. Safe leaves are those of most hardwoods such as beech, oak, maple. Collect them from the ground so they are dead and dry inside, rinse them, dry them and store in a plastic bag or container. Collect from a safe area, well away from any industrial sources, pesticides, fertilizers, etc. You can also buy dried almond leaves (capatta leaves) in some fish stores or online, these are good if you cannot get others.

Sponge filter...in a 40g tank with sedate fish like dwarf cichlids and the dither fish, a dual sponge filter is ideal filtration. The fry cannot be pulled in, and the sponges are excellent biological and mechanical filtration,. about the best there is frankly.

Kuhlii loaches can be tricky to catch. I use thee same method for all fish. Place a large black fish net in the tank turned with one vertical edge against the front glass in a locatioon close to one of the corners. Hold it motionless; the lower horizontal endge must be on or preferably in the substrate just a tad, and the one vertical edge flat against the tank glass. Then with your other hand, slowly "herd" the fish into the stationery net and quickly close it against the glass.

So a dual sponge filter is better than a normal big one?

Not sure if you mean a normal big sponge, or another type of filter. But a good sponge filter is adequate for a 40g tank with Apistogramma. They need an air pump. Alternatively, you could also use a small internal filter, one that is basically a "sponge" with a motor; I have a couple of Aqueon Quiet Flow filters, in tanks that need more current but one of these turned down would work. Others would probably suggest an HOB (hang on back) but I am not fond of these having used them back in the 1980's. If you can control the flow, they are OK. A canister filter is another option, though getting rather expensive and involved for this small a tank with quiet fish.

Photos below are the dual filter I am referring to, and my 40g that had one of these for several years before I moved and changed the fish/filter accordingly. Also the Quiet Flow.

Attachments

• sponge filter.jpg
    sponge filter.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter.jpg
    Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 40g April 20-18 (2).JPG
    40g April 20-18 (2).JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 93
What I meant was the one with the one big sponge instead of 2 smaller separate sponges.right now in the tank I have 2 of the internal filters but they are a diff brand. Can guppies new used as dither fish? And is it ok if my females were sparring by flaring their gills and swimming towards each other, is this normal?

What I meant was the one with the one big sponge instead of 2 smaller separate sponges.right now in the tank I have 2 of the internal filters but they are a diff brand. Can guppies new used as dither fish? And is it ok if my females were sparring by flaring their gills and swimming towards each other, is this normal?

Your water is too soft for guppies (or any livebearer).

Yes on the behaviour. I mentioned this back in post #2 and said to be vigilant. If the male shows interest in one of the females, removing the second to save it might be advisable. Individual fish can exhibit their inherent territorial nature to varying degrees.

Will my apistos eat ghost shrimp? could I put rams in there?

No on the rams. Combining cichlids is not advisable, except for very large tanks (for some Neo-tropical species) or rift lake (African) species in largish tanks.

All fish will eat shrimp that are small enough to be eaten. Crustaceans are a natural food for most freshwater fish. I know next to nothing about shrimp species so I cannot advise which might survive, but other members undoubtedly will see this and let us know.

[
Safe leaves are those of most hardwoods such as beech, oak, maple. Collect them from the ground so they are dead and dry inside, rinse them, dry them and store in a plastic bag or container. Collect from a safe area, well away from any industrial sources, pesticides, fertilizers, etc. You can also buy dried almond leaves (capatta leaves) in some fish stores or online, these are good if you cannot get others.
I have an oak tree in my backyard. I don’t know if the ground is free from pesticides but can I put a container to catch leaves that fall out there and then follow your instructions?

[
I have an oak tree in my backyard. I don’t know if the ground is free from pesticides but can I put a container to catch leaves that fall out there and then follow your instructions?

Excellent. You can rinse the leaves, then lay them out on clean paper towel (never on newspaper or similar as the leaves will become infected with the ink or whatever) to air dry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back