Api Nitrite Test - Off Scale?

Schmill

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
Can someone please remind me what the 'characteristics' are of the API liquid NitrIte test when it goes 'off scale'.

I seem to vaguely remember that the drops go deep purple as soon as you add them to the tube, but I can't remember how quickly this happens, or what happens next.

On my tests the drop are a deep purple about 5 seconds after I start adding the drops, (the time between the first drop hitting the water, and the time I have the tube capped and ready to shake). I'm sure the test then does something else 'bizarre' after that that confirms you are 'off the scale', but I can't remember what that is.
After the 5 minutes my test matches the 1ppm colour on the scale, but I'm not sure this is correct.

Thanks! :good:
 
Don't think so, fairly sure it is a 5 minute test on mine...

<goes to check>...

Nope, definitly a 5 minute test, I know that there are some fairly distinctive things that happen to the test when it is 'off the scale', I just can't remember what they are - lol
 
Ah yes the 'dodgy' strips are 30 seconds, but the API Liquid Master Test Kit is a 5 minute test, so that'll be where the confusion came in, thanks for trying though, it did make me go and double check! :good:
 
Ok, thanks, I might try a little test later of diluting 25% tank water, with 75% tap water, and see what the test does :good:
 
Hi, your not doing it wrong, your nitrItes have reached the 'off the scale' part of the cycle - Hooooray!!!

If it goes the deep purple colour upon adding the drops, there is no need to shake it at all and wait 5 minutes as the 5 minute result will be wrong.

Without looking at your cycling thread (as this board makes me want to kill myself these days with its slooooooooooowness) I assume your ammonia is now processing fairly quickly from 5ppm to 0? Hence the reason the nitrItes are way way high.

They will probably stay this way for a couple of weeks (usually twice as long as it took for the Abacs to grow to process the ammonia). Just when you think you will never see light blue nitrIte test results, they will suddenly drop and you will be close to the end of the cycle.

Keep up the good work, it might seem like forever but its worth it in the end :D
 
Excellent, cheers, yeah, I am familiar with the 'cycle' but couldn't remember how a 'maxed out' NitrIte test reacted :)

I did some additional tests tonight too to confirm my suspicions:

NitrIte Readings:

5ml Tank Water
Maxed Out

2.5ml Tank Water
2.5ml Tap Water

Maxed Out

1ml Tank Water
4ml Tap Water

2ppm NitrIte

So I make that perhaps something approximating 10ppm NitrIte in the tank at the moment :) :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top