Anyone With Nikon Experience?

SLC Flyfishing

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm buying a Nikon DSLR setup next month, we're going all out with it and not really trying to spare any expense. We'll be buying the Nikon D700 camera body, the 24-70 f/2.8 AF-S, the 85 f/1.8, and the 70-200 f/2.8 AF-S VR, we'll also likely buy the battery grip, a few extra batteries, and a few speedlights (not sure if they'll be SB-600's, 800's (if we can find them) or 900's.

My main question is: if you have Nikon experience, have you shot with the 70-200 on a Full Frame body (D3x, D3 or D700) and do you notice any softness or vignetting on the corners of the frame. We'll buy the 80-200 f/2.8 if it's a big issue, but the 70-200 is supposed to be miles ahead of the 80-200 in nearly every category. But I've read some reviews about the 70-200 not really performing up to it's nearly $2,000 price tag on the corners of the frame. Then I've spoken with others who are shooting it and they claim it's really blown way out of proportion.

Anyway if you have used this combo, I'd appreciate your input!

SLC

wow, wish I was in your position!

cant help regarding the 70-200 on FX, but like you i've read the mixed responses. I came to my own conclusion that the softness in the corners was'nt something to trouble me, as its a tele lens you're most likely to crop the extreme corners anyway. Would'nt want it on a wide-angle, but workable on a tele.

Buying one of the FX frame bodies is something I've thought (dreamt) about. How come you chose the D700 over the D3? when I was looking at them, it was a tough choice. Once you add the battery grip you're not far off of the price of a D3.

About the Flash guns, i'd go for the new SB900's if I were you... I havent used them, but from what i've read, they're alot simpler to user, especially if you do alot of off camera flash work.
In the SB600's/SB800's you have to go through the menu, on the SB900 you just flick a switch (useful for me, as thats pretty much only how I use them)

An ideal set-up for me, would be a D3 with the 14-24 f2.8, the 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8.

Ideally i'd mount the 70-200 on my D200, and the 24-70 on the D3

I use a D700 with battery grip too. I prefer to have the grip on because, despite the extra weight, it feels better balanced.

Lenswise, I use (all Nikkor) f1.4 50mm, f2.8 14-24mm, f2.8 70-200mm, f2.8 105mm micro and the TC 1.7. I have never noticed any real softness at the edges of the 70-200mm, but then most of my photos occur in the middle somewhere, not near the edges.

Two things you will be absolutely stunned by, are the low light capability...

This was hand held using the lengthy 70-200mm at ISO 200 in very low light. My D40 would definitely have at least required a large noise increase via ISO, or a tripod.

SunsetMill.jpg

....and how wide the wide angle is on the 14-24mm. This lens is the one lens I wouldn`t be without.

For photographing your tanks, I would go for an SB800/900 as these can be used off camera in commander mode, without having to fire the camera on board flash.

I would go for the fastest lenses you can get and leave your tripod at home for 99% of your photography.

Dave.

I answer your question Gaz Gun, we're going with the D700 because it feels better to us. While the D3 would have an edge in burst rate and build quality, it pretty much ends there. The D700 is much faster than we really need (I'm a hobbyist with an interest in landscape and abstract and my wife is a professional portraitist) and we don't need the extra build. We also like the option to go without the grip if we like. The control layout on the D700 seems more intuitive to both of us as well.

As for the speedlights, the way my wife uses them at weddings, we're pretty sure the 900 would overheat and shut down in short order. The 600 has ample power for what she'll do with it so it's looking like that's where we'll end up!

Thanks for the input Dave, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I spent the weekend with the D700 and a 70-200 and didn't see anything to be concerned over at all! Looks like this has been your observation as well.

SLC

600 is a good workhorse, especially as a flash rather than a "creative light source".... for anything else I try & use a studio light

Most reactions

Back