Anyone Used Top Fin Live Plants?

williamc

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
319
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have bought a live plant from petsmart,its called a aqua fern and the brand is top fin.
well after doing some research on this plant I have figured out that it is not an aquatic plant and that it will rot when fully submerged afer about a month,I was just wanting your opinion on this plant and if it will stay alive or if it will rott and pollute my tank after a while?
 
Depends on the species, can you post a pic?

If it's that that aqua-fern Selanginella stuff I've read about people buying in packets, then yes, it will eventually rot.
 
Ah yes, that stuff will rot too. I've seen Trichomanes growing in very damp places in nature, like under waterfalls and cloud forests, and all it's relatives seem to live in wet places too. None seem to be aquatic.
 
Yes...it will rot...I bought these too. There was pry a few types to choose from and there are some aquatic types..I remember amazon sword being one of the types. The non aquatic are great for terrariums
 
well that really stinks

well that stinks maybe I will return it and get a amazon sword, they are pretty hardy arent they?
 
Yep, though they are heavy root feeders, so if you are going to be putting it in plain gravel or sand, root tabs will help.
 
alright so if I get some amazon swords root tabs will help?
And I was wondering if java moss and java fern are good plants for a planted aquarium?I am new to plpants and I have heard that they are very undemanding
 
Sounds very much like my 'shopping list' at the moment :)

Java Fern
Java Moss
Amazon Sword
Some cabomba(sp?) from my other tank

I believe all of these are quite undemanding and relatively hardy :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top