anyone keep ......

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

lucky62

40 plus year fish keeper
Reaction score
agout 8 years ago I had a fish called a croaking gourami [ I think ] it was a beautiful little fish , he liked to jump between 2 tanks I kept side by side/ or side by end :lol: .

He jumped out one time to many , and missed his target . :byebye:

I'm thinking of giving it another try , If I can find any .

So has anyone kept any of the following fish , I mostly have scientific names , not sure how accurate they are anymore .....here goes

the sparkling gourami , I may have listed below :dunno: the scientific name

trichopsis pimila: croacking gourami

trichopsis schalleri

trichopsis vittatus

parosphromenus filamentosus

" " deissneri
" " paludicola
" " parvulus
" " nagyi

these fish all are said to grow to the 4 cm range , anyone with any expirience ?
thanks

I have sparklers and croakers. I've found both to be peaceful for gouramis. Both are pretty hardy.

What do you plan on keeping them with, Lucky?

You should avoid keeping a betta in their tank, especially croakers, because they look very similar to female or certain wild type bettas.

cometcattle said:
I have sparklers and croakers. I've found both to be peaceful for gouramis. Both are pretty hardy.

What do you plan on keeping them with, Lucky?

You should avoid keeping a betta in their tank, especially croakers, because they look very similar to female or certain wild type bettas.
Thanks comet , I was thinking maybe the fish in my sig .

The tank is a good size , with decent plant growth .or maybe a 20 long for themselves :dunno:

Do yours jump ?

Do you keep them together ?

This may sound like a stupid question but , what time of year did you get them ?

I'm not sure how aggressive badis are, but 70g is huge, so as long as the sparklers won't fit in their mouthes, you should be fine.

They'd love that tank because they love swimming through live plants.

Mine are spread out in 3 tanks, but I have the croakers together in a 29g and sparklers together in a 10g and a 5.5g.

My croakers are twice the size of my sparklers.

They were VERY hard to find. I got lucky in Aug. I am starting to see sparklers in a few places (no petco or petsmart) now. I was looking since Feb. :/

I still havn't seen any more croakers since I bought the last few at a LFS, and they thought they were sparklers. :rolleyes:

I haven't had any jump. In fact, the only fish so far to jump has been hatchets and swordtails. I've been pretty fortunate. :thumbs:

ME! they can seriosly remember their owner if you treat them well! they go up to be everytime i look at them B)

cometcattle said:
I'm not sure how aggressive badis are, but 70g is huge, so as long as the sparklers won't fit in their mouthes, you should be fine. 

They'd love that tank because they love swimming through live plants.

Mine are spread out in 3 tanks, but I have the croakers together in a 29g and sparklers together in a 10g and a 5.5g.

My croakers are twice the size of my sparklers. 

They were VERY hard to find.  I got lucky in Aug.  I am starting to see sparklers in a few places (no petco or petsmart) now.  I was looking since Feb. :/

I still havn't seen any more croakers since I bought the last few at a LFS, and they thought they were sparklers. :rolleyes:

I haven't had any jump.  In fact, the only fish so far to jump has been hatchets and swordtails.  I've been pretty fortunate. :thumbs:
Thanks alot '

my badis aren't that bad :nod: , most skirmishes are not serious [ they only really bother each other ].

You didn't my cockatoo .

do think yours full grown ?

How big are they?

were they expensive ?

do both species sparkle ?

thanks again , comet

They would be fine with your Apisto, I have kept them with a wild Apisto I had, and currently with a male Apisto Borelli.

I'd say mine are full grown with the sparklers at 1-1.25" and the croakers 2-2.25". :flex:

The Sparklers I see are $2.19 - 2.99 and the croakers were $2.99.

They both sparkle, but the sparkler in more colorful IMO. They both have blue eyes, but the croakers eyes stand out much more because they have a darker body.

I wish I had a digicam to show you pics of mine. :/

I forgot, you might here the croakers sing. :lol: I haven't heard mine, but they are in a loud tank (2 HOBs, 1 air pump, and constant clicking of my skunk loaches).

Juliethegr8 has some and hers sing all the time. :nod:

:thumbs:

I love my sparklers and croakers, I highly recommend them. :thumbs:

cometcattle said:
They would be fine with your Apisto, I have kept them with a wild Apisto I had, and currently with a male Apisto Borelli.

I'd say mine are full grown with the sparklers at 1-1.25" and the croakers 2-2.25". :flex:

The Sparklers I see are $2.19 - 2.99 and the croakers were $2.99.

They both sparkle, but the sparkler in more colorful IMO. They both have blue eyes, but the croakers eyes stand out much more because they have a darker body.

I wish I had a digicam to show you pics of mine. :/

I forgot, you might here the croakers sing. :lol: I haven't heard mine, but they are in a loud tank (2 HOBs, 1 air pump, and constant clicking of my skunk loaches).

Juliethegr8 has some and hers sing all the time. :nod:

:thumbs:

I love my sparklers and croakers, I highly recommend them. :thumbs:
once again thanks .

I had borellies , all blue and speckley :cool:

also thinking ....nanacara anomola :shifty:

The badis and the gudgeons are about half the apistos size , I'll start looking for these guys now , may I'll find some by spring :lol: .

That's a good size range for me , the biggest fish I want to keep is that apisto , had the big ones [ fish 6 " to a foot that is ] not monsters , love the big ones ................big ones just got to be too much work for me .

Those prices sound inexpensive :cool: . don't know about here :whistle:

yea blue eyes I almost forgot , and I had the one with the darker body , watch yours , they can jump .

I have a digital cam , I just take real bad pictures with it , having small fish doesn't help .

juliethegr8's sing , how cool is that , maybe she help me out as well .

Hey comet , What's your water flow like in their tanks ?

lucky62 said:
Strong in all my tanks except my 10g shellie tank where I only run a Penguin Mini w/bio-wheel.

In my 29g I run an Emperor 280 (up to 50g), an Aquaclear 200 and a Profile 1500 air pump.

In my other 2 10g I run an Aquaclear 200 in each.

In my 5.5g I run a Top Fin 10 (up to 10g) and an Ehiem Liberty HOB (up to 20g).

I had the Ehiem on a 10g, but replaced it with an Aquaclear. I didn't want to lose the bacteria, so I threw it on the 5.5 because it required no cutting of the back of the hood. :shifty:

Those Aquaclear 200s are great filters for $16.99 at Petsmart. You have to print up their web page, otherwise they are about $35.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1098415764852

I still haven't decided on what to run on my 55 which I will be getting soon.
I'd like to try a canister filter, but they aren't cheap. I was thinking Fluval 404($102.99), but I'm not sure. :S
Over-filtration is my good friend. :nod:

What do you guys run on your 55g? :dunno:

Anywho..... All the filters are run on full blast, but the tanks they are in are heavily planted (2 live, 1 half silk/half live), which they love. :thumbs:

I'm lucky's son, so my tanks are his :lol: We use a whisper 300, and an aqua clear 30 on my 55 :p One on each side :) I use a UGF driven by power heads on the other one :dunno: Works fine :)

cometcattle said:
lucky62 said:
Strong in all my tanks except my 10g shellie tank where I only run a Penguin Mini w/bio-wheel.

In my 29g I run an Emperor 280 (up to 50g), an Aquaclear 200 and a Profile 1500 air pump.

In my other 2 10g I run an Aquaclear 200 in each.

In my 5.5g I run a Top Fin 10 (up to 10g) and an Ehiem Liberty HOB (up to 20g).

I had the Ehiem on a 10g, but replaced it with an Aquaclear. I didn't want to lose the bacteria, so I threw it on the 5.5 because it required no cutting of the back of the hood. :shifty:

Those Aquaclear 200s are great filters for $16.99 at Petsmart. You have to print up their web page, otherwise they are about $35.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1098415764852

I still haven't decided on what to run on my 55 which I will be getting soon.
I'd like to try a canister filter, but they aren't cheap. I was thinking Fluval 404($102.99), but I'm not sure. :S
Over-filtration is my good friend. :nod:

What do you guys run on your 55g? :dunno:

Anywho..... All the filters are run on full blast, but the tanks they are in are heavily planted (2 live, 1 half silk/half live), which they love. :thumbs:
to bad you couldn't print the web page for the fluval :lol:

I had a fluval 403 I think it was called then , the cylinder shaped one .

I bought it used in 1990, I forget what I paid :dunno: , it was worth it :nod: , whatever it was .

Compared to my Supreme Aquamaster , and air master , it was like dream :wub:

soooooooooo quiet :nod: .

Alas , I no longer have my fluval , a couple of the fastening clips broke , and that was as they say " The beginning , of the end "

Thanks for the link .

Hey comet , ever keep any licorice goramis ?

Has anyone else ?

Most reactions

Back