Anyone Had Success With Tetras In Hard Water?

i have 10 neon and 4 rummynose tetras in my that sort of water and there all going great!

unfortunately the neon tetras attacked my guppies tails so im getting rid :(

ash

I'll go take a look at my LFS tomorrow! Will see if they have any Neons or Black Neons! Just curious would they school together?

AW

Apart from the name, Black Neons are not related to Neon tetras so not quite sure on the answer. I have Neons and Black Tetras. The Neons are pretty much always in the middle layer of the tank in a nice little shoal. My Neons on the other hand, tend to stay on there own at the bottom layer of the tank. My Black Neons seem to have a much bolder character to them than have my Neons. The Black Neons are so much fun to watch when they feed. They are lightning quick.

i have 10 neon and 4 rummynose tetras in my that sort of water and there all going great!

ash

I'll go take a look at my LFS tomorrow! Will see if they have any Neons or Black Neons! Just curious would they school together?

AW

Apart from the name, Black Neons are not related to Neon tetras so not quite sure on the answer. I have Neons and Black Tetras. The Neons are pretty much always in the middle layer of the tank in a nice little shoal. My Neons on the other hand, tend to stay on there own at the bottom layer of the tank. My Black Neons seem to have a much bolder character to them than have my Neons. The Black Neons are so much fun to watch when they feed. They are lightning quick.

Ah ok then. Think I will stick to getting some good old Neon Tetras as I don't think my LFS stock Black Neon Tetras.

So if I add 1 more Panda Corydoras and 8 Neon Tetras my stocking comes to 101%, having a total of:-

2 Dwarf Gourami
5 Panda Corydoras
8 Neon Tetras
1 Bristlenose Catfish

24 x 12 x 15 Aquarium.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this stocking?

Cheers,
AW

ash

AW

Ah ok then. Think I will stick to getting some good old Neon Tetras as I don't think my LFS stock Black Neon Tetras.

So if I add 1 more Panda Corydoras and 8 Neon Tetras my stocking comes to 101%, having a total of:-

2 Dwarf Gourami
5 Panda Corydoras
8 Neon Tetras
1 Bristlenose Catfish

24 x 12 x 15 Aquarium.

Cheers,
AW
Looks good to me but I would go for 6 pandas.

ash

AW

2 Dwarf Gourami
5 Panda Corydoras
8 Neon Tetras
1 Bristlenose Catfish

24 x 12 x 15 Aquarium.

Cheers,
AW

Hmmmmm only thing is that would bring my bio-load quite high. I know that Aq Advisor is conservative but surely people don't recommend being too overstocked? Hopefully the fact that the aquarium is moderately planted will help me out! How should I go about stocking without causing a mini-cycle? Add 6 Neons, 2 weeks later add 2 more and then 2 weeks later and the 2 Corydoras?

Cheers,
AW

ash

AW

2 Dwarf Gourami
5 Panda Corydoras
8 Neon Tetras
1 Bristlenose Catfish

24 x 12 x 15 Aquarium.

Cheers,
AW

Hmmmmm only thing is that would bring my bio-load quite high. I know that Aq Advisor is conservative but surely people don't recommend being too overstocked? Hopefully the fact that the aquarium is moderately planted will help me out! How should I go about stocking without causing a mini-cycle? Add 6 Neons, 2 weeks later add 2 more and then 2 weeks later and the 2 Corydoras?

Cheers,
AW
Aqavisor is more of a rough guide than you have to stick to it 100%. Its says all of my tanks are overstocked but yet all my fish are fully grown and the waters quality is perfect and the fish are all healthy. I cant see a problem with having 6 pandas. Maybe add the 2 pandas then a few weeks later add 4 neons and then another few weeks later add another 4

Just noticed your thread, I am on the Suffolk/Essex border and have similar PH levels. My Neons, Black Phantoms and Black Widow Tetra's are absolutely fine in that PH level.

You talked about your LFS not having much. Have you tried Swallow Aquatics in Ford Street, just outside of Chapped and Wakes Colne? Massive selection of Tetra's although you have to be careful what they give you as I bought six Phantoms once and was given three Black widows in there too, hence why they are in my tank.

Neons are great and look good but they tend to be involved in tank accidents more often than not or just disappear. Black Widows are a little aggressive. I would go for as many Phantoms as you can or those red fins, very placed and good to look at.

Just noticed your thread, I am on the Suffolk/Essex border and have similar PH levels. My Neons, Black Phantoms and Black Widow Tetra's are absolutely fine in that PH level.

You talked about your LFS not having much. Have you tried Swallow Aquatics in Ford Street, just outside of Chapped and Wakes Colne? Massive selection of Tetra's although you have to be careful what they give you as I bought six Phantoms once and was given three Black widows in there too, hence why they are in my tank.

Neons are great and look good but they tend to be involved in tank accidents more often than not or just disappear. Black Widows are a little aggressive. I would go for as many Phantoms as you can or those red fins, very placed and good to look at.

I was in luck! They had Black Tetras, Black Phantom Tetras, Neons and Cardinals. So much to choose from! I ended up buying 8 Black Phantom Tetras so I will be monitoring my water and checking just incase I go into a mini-cycle. Will be ready for the water changes!

Cheers,
AW

Add some drift wood and CO2 to lower your PH. Boil it first to leech some of the tannins. I had the same problem and put a piece of mangrove wood and a DIY CO2 and it helped.

Most reactions

Back