Anyone A Rodent Keeper?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My Buns and GP's live in their own shed click here.

There is nothing else in the shed, just the animals. The guinea pigs have the top floor with the balcony, the rabbits have the ground floor and a tunnel that runs out to an outside run.

OMG! I want to move in with them :hyper: That's the coolest rodent penthouse ever!!! Lucky pets :)

We were thinking of rehoming the pair as they sadly do not get the attention they deserve at the moment, the kids are supposed to let them out a few times a day and they're lucky if they're let out twice a day now.
We spoke to the kids about this and they've been making the effort this past week or two so here's hoping we don't have to give them away.

Yeah, I totally understand that. You see, guinea pigs are supposed to live in groups of two or more, but I only got one because the guy who gave the pig away only had a single one. I'm supposed to let him run about in the grass or hallways (when it's too got outside) for an hour or two everyday, but he's lucky if he gets 30 mins. I try to let him out 2 hours everyday, but that's a long time to sit and watch him. My mom almost made me rehome him too. :'( So I picked up the pace and put some effort into taking care of him... I couldn't let him go. :D

Three mice - Rachel, Monica and Phoebe (another Friends lover)
Two guinea pigs - Cookie and Crumble

Love them, but I wish they'd pooped a little less :rolleyes:

LOL yeah, they poop lots. I didn't realize that they pooped such a good amount. Makes me change the bedding everyday. Keeps me busy!! ;)

I take in recued Rats and I have Hamsters. I occationally take in rescued Hams. At the minuet I only have five Rats (the record for me being fourteen at one time), along with one Syrian Hamster and two Russian Dwarf Hams too who live together as sisters. The Rats have their own room (the spare bedroom) with a five foot high cage for bed time, various toys, hammocks etc and a swimming pool and the Hams have their Zoozone tanks with their own toys, sand baths, wheels and a big playpen they share between them. I've got some lovely photos of my Syrian boy, Sprout, in the pen in the sunshine I took the other week when it was sunny outside : 3

My mam has two Guinie Pigs. They live indoors in a four foot cage and have a wooden pen for outside in nice weather.

I did used to keep Rabbits as a kid but I had to agree to let them go to someone else when I had my relaps (I have M.E.). Just as well I did I think 'cause they lived in a three foot hutch all their lives : (
They did have a four foot square shaped run that I let them out in when the weather was OK for them, but I feel so bad that they didn't have the room they needed.

And I did have a poor lone Guinie Pig called Blackie, who was black beleive it or not, as a kid too. Poor thing, he never had a friend. But I know now that they need friends so I'll never do that again.

And I did have two Gerbils before taking on Rats. They lived in the tank that's now my Fishtank. They were very funny and I loved to watch them build their tunnels : )

I've learned a lot since being a kid though (and still feel bad for not learning it sooner), so I like to hope my pets have better lives with me these days.

But I do like Rodents. I think they're full of character and all have their own cheaky little ways : )

I, too, have a lone guinea pig. Speaking of that... I won't get another pig after the fellow dies off.
I had my choices between a Syrian Hammy, Gerbil & Guinea pigs. I almost fell for gerbils, but then I was like: "Wait... Nope!! I want a piggie." :) A picky child, I am.

ShinySideUp: Yes, I think you are older than me. :) I bet I'm the youngest member.... :look:
That IS a cool shed!! Do I see a tan colored guinea pig? Or is it just me??

Yes two tan coloured ones in the photos one of which has since died I'm afraid. At the moment Neo is tri-coloured, Phoebe is black and Toffee is, well, toffee-coloured.

It IS a nice house for them though. We feel that if we are going to have animals (and fish) then we have to provide the best we can and would far exceed anything that is 'recommended'. I deliver parcels and I see some really awful housing for animals (and can't say anything) at some people's houses. I'd like to say to some people "Hey, how would you like to spend your whole life in a space the size of your bathroom with no company and nothing to do?!", when all I can actually say is "sign here". If people don't want to or can't for one reason or another give their animals the freedom and care they require and deserve then re-home them to people who do and can. No one is going to judge them, things change but it's no reason for the animals to suffer.

Sorry, I've gone off on one again.

Yes, we bought the shed for them. What you can't see is that the bunny run is extended during the summer so the rabbits can head off across the lawn. Also the GP's are taken out of the shed during the day (when it's warm) to a run on the grass -- we never use the lawnmower, the guinea pigs do all the cutting!

I have a hedgehog. She is amazing pet to keep. Even though she can be prickilly sometimes she is still cute. Mine loves meal worms! She sleeps most of the day and comes out at night. But ou have to have a heating pad for them or else they might gointo hibernation!! Scary if it happens :unsure:

I have a hedgehog. She is amazing pet to keep. Even though she can be prickilly sometimes she is still cute. Mine loves meal worms! She sleeps most of the day and comes out at night. But ou have to have a heating pad for them or else they might gointo hibernation!! Scary if it happens :unsure:

I'm afraid I don't agree with keeping wild animals as pets unless the animal is in a condition that would prevent it surviving in the wild, e.g. blind or limbs missing or some such.

We rescued a small hedgehog who's mother had died. We kept it in a shed right through the summer, feeding it and cleaning it out (every day, their faeces are rather smelly) and trying not to handle it lest it become used to humans until it had reached 600grams. We released it in October the same year and we think it bred as one came back regularly during the following year with kits; most satisfying.

Yes two tan coloured ones in the photos one of which has since died I'm afraid. At the moment Neo is tri-coloured, Phoebe is black and Toffee is, well, toffee-coloured.

It IS a nice house for them though. We feel that if we are going to have animals (and fish) then we have to provide the best we can and would far exceed anything that is 'recommended'. I deliver parcels and I see some really awful housing for animals (and can't say anything) at some people's houses. I'd like to say to some people "Hey, how would you like to spend your whole life in a space the size of your bathroom with no company and nothing to do?!", when all I can actually say is "sign here". If people don't want to or can't for one reason or another give their animals the freedom and care they require and deserve then re-home them to people who do and can. No one is going to judge them, things change but it's no reason for the animals to suffer.

Sorry, I've gone off on one again.

Yes, we bought the shed for them. What you can't see is that the bunny run is extended during the summer so the rabbits can head off across the lawn. Also the GP's are taken out of the shed during the day (when it's warm) to a run on the grass -- we never use the lawnmower, the guinea pigs do all the cutting!

finally, somone else who compares pet 'houses' to bathrooms!!!!

over the years ive had 100s of gerbils rats and degus i currently only have 3 chinchillas in the rodent department :D

over the years ive had 100s of gerbils rats and degus i currently only have 3 chinchillas in the rodent department :D

Chins are so cute and cuddly!! I've heard they're kinda hard to keep up with the maintanence though...
GERBILS, I'm a fan of gerbils too! :)

To ShinySideUp, Your pet names were fantastic. I am only 28 but Sonny and Cher! :p I am American though. The friends reference to your Phoebe was great! My fav show of all time, I own the series.

I have always had a hamster in the house, I currently have a lovely little Robo that I scored off of Freecycle. Some bratty teenage cheerleader was neglecting her.

I take her in the "dry" bathtub with the plug in and let her run all over to try and tame her. She loves lettuce.

You Europeans and your rabbits are funny to me. it makes me want one.

I'm afraid I don't agree with keeping wild animals as pets unless the animal is in a condition that would prevent it surviving in the wild, e.g. blind or limbs missing or some such.

We rescued a small hedgehog who's mother had died. We kept it in a shed right through the summer, feeding it and cleaning it out (every day, their faeces are rather smelly) and trying not to handle it lest it become used to humans until it had reached 600grams. We released it in October the same year and we think it bred as one came back regularly during the following year with kits; most satisfying.
Yeah, thanks for your opinion :rolleyes: But mine is very nice.

Lettuce is really not good for hamsters :unsure: some types are worse than others i guess, iceburg is the worst though. There are so many different types of treats you can give them without using something like lettuce that i would chance to something else (something to do with it being mainly water and containing minerals in excess or preventing the absorbtion of certain minerals).

Safe Foods for Hamsters (be nice, i wrote this about 6 or 7 years ago!)
http://hamster.etla.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=60

Safe Treats for Hamsters (also written many many years ago! lol)
http://hamster.etla.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=62

I only give one piece of lettuce a week. She gets something different everyday. Too much lettuce could lead to wet tail.

Romaine and only the leafy bit. :good:

Those were good list though. I'll have to find the link to one I use. My mother keeps hamsters, sometimes an insane quantity of them :fun:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back