Anybody up to some aquatic breeding?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StripySnailGirl04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Universe
Is anyone currently breeding any lifeforms(excluding pest snails🤣)?
@Essjay I think you have Cherry shrimp. Which grades are they and are you going to breed them selectively? I'm very interested in genetics, I am researching about Cherry Shrimp, Angelfish, Guppy and even Budgerigar inheritance! I would love to know more about Angelfish alleles and right now all I know about guppies is that the dorsal fin is inherited via the male. Anymore information given and I'll gladly read it🙂
Away from genetics, anybody generally breeding aquatic animals like assassin snails, tetras and more? Would love to see pictures and journals!
If you already have threads, I would like links. I may or may not have seen them yet.
Thanks!

Pictures?
What do you plan with the fry?
Did you crossbreed the pepper and bronze?
No piccies cos they scatter when approached....insofa are cross breeding, not happened so far. Before I moved everyone into the same aquarium, I had two tiny juveniles in one of the aquariums, by the time I moved everyone into the big aquarium there were at least 12 from the two.

No piccies cos they scatter when approached....insofa are cross breeding, not happened so far. Before I moved everyone into the same aquarium, I had two tiny juveniles in one of the aquariums, by the time I moved everyone into the big aquarium there were at least 12 from the two.
What will you do with the fry? Keep some and sell the rest?

My shrimps are just shop bought red cherries. I bought the first ones years ago, they all died. But the last one was a berried female, she died after the eggs hatched. Most of the baby shrimp survived and that was the start of the colony. I have added more since, usually a single berried female from different shops. One female carrying eggs means several new shrimps in a few weeks.

I have never bothered with different colours or expensive extra-red shrimps as they'd only breed with my low grade ones.

My shrimps are just shop bought red cherries. I bought the first ones years ago, they all died. But the last one was a berried female, she died after the eggs hatched. Most of the baby shrimp survived and that was the start of the colony. I have added more since, usually a single berried female from different shops. One female carrying eggs means several new shrimps in a few weeks.

I have never bothered with different colours or expensive extra-red shrimps as they'd only breed with my low grade ones.
Good information!
Any photos?

Heterandria Formosa still at it.

We’re waiting for the scan results of my only PAH live purchase (Male Japan blue lyre tail endler) who has spent two weeks in the honeymoon suite with two yes two! of MrsLurchs female endlers.
They’re back in the sorority while he is now holed up alone in the honeymoon suite after constant bad behaviour in the form of biting and bullying in the community tank.
It’s looking like he’s just a bad fish. Good looking but baaaaad.

Last edited:
Heterandria Formosa still at it.

We’re waiting for the scan results of my only PAH live purchase (Male Japan blue lyre tail endler) having spent two weeks in the honeymoon suite with two yes two! of MrsLurchs female endlers. They’re back in the sorority while he is now holed up alone in the honeymoon suite after constant bad behaviour in the form of biting and bullying in the community tank.
It’s looking like he’s just a bad fish.
Cool! Any pictures?

I breed killies, rainbows, wild type livebearers and apparently, Ancistrus. I can't imagine keeping fish without trying to breed them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back