Any Tips For Hygrophillia Polysperma

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mattwhite

Reaction score
I have some Hygrophillia Polysperma growing ain the back right corner of my 80l tank. I really like this plant as it grows well and the fish love hiding in its leaves.
The only problem i have with this plant is that it seems to get too leggy very quickly. When this happens i prune the largest stems and replant them in bunches to fill in the gaps around the existing stems.

My problem is that I use metal strips to weight the new bunces down but after a couple of days the stalks always seem to break free and end up floating around.

Any tips on keeping this plant looking 'bushy' and 'full'.

(hope all this makes sense)

i just prune regularly, i just look at how its growing and prune the parts that are getting a bit crazy big. it usually splits and gets quite bushy covering all the horrible looking roots underneath hah.

what kind of substrate do you have?? i dont seem to have any issues keeping the cuttings stuck in there. i have smallish gravel.

If you can just plant it in the gravel, that should hold it.

Sam

How much light do you have in your tank as 'leggy' plants are usually due to insufficient light?

In terms of keeping it rooted without using weights, I tend to prune the plant in half, then when replanting the top half, push the bottom leaves under the ground. They anchor the plant down, just as roots would, and I never have a problem with them floating up etc.

Rob.

Most reactions

trending

Back