Any Mechanics Here?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shelaghfishface

the one and only
Reaction score
my beloved ( 94 M reg golf gti) is driving me insane.
she was quiet as a mouse before the head gasket done!
now theres a noise that is driving me nuts!
when i rev'd over 2k it rattled and vibrated...and sounded awful when driving, got it up on the ramps and found such an easy fix... the heat guard was loose and rattling
w00t.gif
so i clamped that and rev'd it and yes!! it was done....not! ( sounds lovely on idle)

its still noisy only when driving so i guess that rules out exhaust manifold.... gears are smooth enough and it happens hen clutch is dipped or not... its coming from the middle front of the engine but soo hard to tell exactly where of course.. i did suspect gearbox after i spotted oil, but this turned out to be the mess left behind after the head
rolleyes.gif

have changed the plugs, clamped the heat guard and am desperate to rule out the gearbox and clutch after paying for the head,
unsure.gif

its the 8v model if anyone can help :)

shelagh x

Difficult to say over the internet.

If its a dry sounding rattle my guess is the Catalytic convereter is loose inside the housing.

If its a dry sounding rattle my guess is the Catalytic convereter is loose inside the housing.

not sure i can describe it as a rattle now that the guard is clamped.. its more of a complaing vibrate still over about 2k when moving

grr its sooo annoying..
cant the cat be removed? tho i understand it an MOT fail.. but it just flew through last month so im sure i could replace it within the next period

not sure i can describe it as a rattle now that the guard is clamped.. its more of a complaing vibrate still over about 2k when moving

grr its sooo annoying..
cant the cat be removed? tho i understand it an MOT fail.. but it just flew through last month so im sure i could replace it within the next period

If a garage did the work on the car,take it back and get them to have a look

Cars after K plate need a Catalytic converter for Mot/emmisions

ive been back and wasnt impressed with them to start with.. they filled my system with water/charged me extra for the timing belt kit.. my rad pipe blew off after a day, he had it back drained it and refilled it and when i did enquire about the vibrating in the first place he told me to change the plugs ( though they were supposed to have been done with the head.. they deffo wernt)

im wary of going back to any garage now its not the first time ive been jacked..and lets face it its a golf..a monkey can work on one :lol:

ive been back and wasnt impressed with them to start with.. they filled my system with water/charged me extra for the timing belt kit.. my rad pipe blew off after a day, he had it back drained it and refilled it and when i did enquire about the vibrating in the first place he told me to change the plugs ( though they were supposed to have been done with the head.. they deffo wernt)

im wary of going back to any garage now its not the first time ive been jacked..and lets face it its a golf..a monkey can work on one :lol:

Thats not good from a garage.Dont forget to tell everyone you know about them,i hate that.

Not all garages are like that,there are still some good people out there.

Golfs are quite easy to work on.

Keep looking at Mk2's but missus would go mad.

Thats not good from a garage.Dont forget to tell everyone you know about them,i hate that.

i think some of them see a woman and rub there hands with glee :lol; ( some i say)
ahh the joys of a mk2.. only had one and was written off a few years ( not my fault) you wanna get one soon if your going to get one at all.. serious scene cars these days and going for silly money
crazy.gif
make a bucket list and have puppy dog eyes when she reads it... shes obliged to let you have one then :lol:

pic of my baby to shows shes worth it !
w00t.gif

001-47.jpg

i think some of them see a woman and rub there hands with glee :lol; ( some i say)
ahh the joys of a mk2.. only had one and was written off a few years ( not my fault) you wanna get one soon if your going to get one at all.. serious scene cars these days and going for silly money
crazy.gif
make a bucket list and have puppy dog eyes when she reads it... shes obliged to let you have one then :lol:

I am fully out of green cards at the moment for buying anything.lol

Just built a 27 tank fishroom

Do like the mk 2.Was a stunning one in one of the VW mags,underneath was as tidy as the top,unbeleivable

Yours looks tidy,looking good

a nice original from a vicars wife with FSH is what you want... then subtle mods and jobs a goodun :lol: yeah some proper stunners out there!

27 fish tanks
w00t.gif
youre deffo out of spends :lol:

Your timing might be slightly out after the head gasket change, or when they done it they may have messed up the timing, turned it over and knackered a valve, then re timed it and got it to run. Happens a lo with head gaskets, they should always turn them over with a wrench on the crank pulley first to check nothing hits or locks but maybe they didn't.

well ive just been out in her and the noise has stopped
blink.gif
she hasnt really been anywhere for 3 days so not had a chance to warm up, tho i left her idling when i went in the shop.... now either i have the luck of the irish or something has fallen off
laugh.gif

lets just hope it stays like this

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back