Any Advice On How To Help A Friend Into The Hobby?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TooManyChoices

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
One of my friends has asked me to help them set up a little aquarium for them. I'm happy to help as I'd rather see it done right. The person is going to be super budget conscious and just wanting to set something nano up in a very simple way. They want a yabby but I'll try to shove them cherry shrimp for ease of care and space requirements.

Any ideas on how to help then without shoving my purist ways down their throat. I'd rather it be fun for them rather than me taking over!

I personally think it's okay to teach them the "purist" ways. This can be done without shoving it down their throat. Start out by making a plan with them about what they want out of the tank. Price the tank they want and then if they find it's too costly revise the plan. This way they have an idea of cost and can be more realistic about their budget to desire ratio.

Once that's done and the items are purchased then you can have them set the actual tank up but talk them through it and explain what each step is. Then they can have the glory of putting water in it after you explain the cycle to them.

After it is cycled take them to buy the fish that have already been planed and teach them about acclamation and care.

Come back in a week or so and teach them about water changes and filter maintenance etc.

As long as you are just guiding the steps and not doing them and giving them a chance to learn that what they want might not be best and show them why I think most people will be quite reasonable expectations of outcome.

I love helping people set up tanks and I've yet to have someone who wasn't grateful.

Great advice by Tcamos so far.

Also, you can help them through the long boring cycling part by giving them some of your mature tank media.  You can get ready for the donation by stuffing some extra sponges or filter felt into your filter/filters a couple of weeks before.  This will allow them to enjoy the fish right away rather than testing their patience with a fishless cycle or the insane amount of water changes required for a fish-in cycle. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back