Anubias with driftwood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rick147

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can Anubias be removed from driftwood and re used elsewhere, like in a different position?

If so how do you get it to stick

Yes, anubias can be removed from wood, carefully so you don't tear the roots off the plant. The plants can be attached to any decor; they can be laid on the substrate but it is very easy to accidentally cover the rhizome so it's safer on decor.

I use sewing thread to hold them in place till they cling by themselves. It's possible to use superglue made from cyanoacrylate (check the label), and members have commented that the gel type is easier than the liquid type as the liquid runs everywhere and turns white in the tank so it can look a mess. The anubias and the decor must be dry, but the plant leaves kept damp by wrapping in moist tissue or paper towel.

i cannot seem to attatch anubias to anything for some reason, so i just get the roots and put rocks or some coral rubble on them

Superglue does work. I agree that gel is better though and if you do go down that route the gel takes a minute or two to set.
I have it on most of the plants placed on the wood of my tanks but I must point out that using it is tricky. If you have some latex gloves it's best to put them on otherwise you can guarantee you'll end up with really claggy fingertips. I lost the ability to unlock my mobile phone by thumbprint loads of times and even superglue remover didn't aways get it off sufficiently well enough.
For some of the plants I wanted to locate at substrate level but floated to the surface when disturbed by fish, I got small pieces of slate and glued them to it. Something the size of a bottle cap is fine. Then you can simply press the cap into the substrate.

If I have driftwood with anubias and also just anubias alone not attached to anything,
And want to keep it growing but not in the tank.

If I just put it in a bucket of water and leave it in the sun will it still grow?

Just bumping the previous question

Also another,
I have this green wavy stuff growing, (algae?)
0DA22CFE-9936-4F75-80ED-2E9BC93F5D85.jpeg

Yes, it's hair algae. The way to remove it is by winding the strands round something (your finger, a fish-only toothbrush). But unless you find out why it's growing and fix that it will come back.

I have it too and it's a real bugger to get rid of.
Winding it into a single string and pulling it, lifts plants from the woodwork or substrate.
I have aquascape scissors to cut as much off as I can and I intend to do a major water change shortly where I'll have better access to it with a toothbrush.
In the meantime the shrimp and otos are doing as much as they can.

What causes it?
It the light on for too long?
There isn’t anything in the tank yet except plants as it’s still cycling.

It’s already grown in the last 48 hours

Is there a way to stop this algae?

Its over taking the tank. Do I need to empty the tank and start again?

The best way is to increase the number of plants you have, the more plants the less algae. I had this algae in my tank until I got my plants up to about 60% of the volume of the tank and then it disappeared.

remove the algae manually
do big water changes and gravel cleans to reduce the nutrients
reduce light
add more live plants

LESS water changes IF you have many other plants also. That's the caveat with no changes. You need much green bio to keep things stable and near algae free.
The problem with Anubias is that they are soooooooo slow growing they accumulate algae on leaves and its hard to get them clean ever again. I would reduce the lighting by half..that should leave enough for Anubias growth but takes out the green filamentous algae.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back