Answers On A Postcard Please..

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GrumpyJohn

Reaction score
I have a fire eel; it's only a babe at the moment (about 6.5") but settled into its tank well, happily feeding (from hand), is fairly active during the day, gets on well with it's tank mates (a couple of decent sized YoYo loaches) and all is well. The tank it's in now is plenty large enough for it and I have a larger tank ready in the wings for when I feel the time is right to upgrade.

When I do upgrade that will be the point where I feel the relationship between the fire eel and yoyo loaches could be approaching that point where it goes from happy tank-mates to hungry eel and lunch! In the larger tank I don't just want the fire eel, I want one (or a few) tank-mates that are both compatible and not too small to be a good snack. But what?

I want to get something now, obviously a juvenile, that will grow alongside the fire eel. The companion's eventual size must not exceed the fire eel so I don't want a red-tailed catfish, silver arowana (my dream fish but I don't have a spare swimming pool to convert) or anything of that size. Ideally something around 12" - 16" would be good. 

I was thinking a decent plec but they aren't as active as I would want nor be a mid-level swimmer (and besides, I can't really find one I like; the nicer varieties look to be too small, and of the larger ones I only really like the Royal Panaque but that gets very heavy and cumbersome - and, if mature pics on the net are to go by not very attractive!). I want the tank to remain planted (hence why I don't want a fish that will uproot and destroy the plants) at lower levels, with lighter and dimmer areas too.

I want something different; I don't want something along the lines of an oscar, silver dollars, a larger catfish, etc (regardless of whether or not they would be compatible I find them boring). I also want something sociable towards me. As much as I like the fascination of a well-stocked community tank the idea behind getting a fire eel is that I want interaction, character, etc and that has to be true for any tank-mate.

So, what would you suggest? You can send answers on a postcard but posting below may be easier.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and the larger tank waiting in the wings is a 4 x 2 x 2 for now.

I would avoid plecs for the most part to be honest, especially common or sailfin plecs and any with a tendency for needing a higher protein diet as they often try to eat the slime off the fish and on a fire eel that can do some real damage. Though I found Green and Blue Phantom Plecs made great tankmates!

I would also consider some nice South American cichlids :) Up to you what you prefer really.. would avoid some of the nastier specimens but most would be ok... especially with a fish with potential to reach nearly a meter... if the eel fits... likely a few cichlids will as well!

Why not pop over to the new world cichlid section :)

Hi, yes, I do like some of the larger cichlids, especially the Blue Jack Dempsey - it's a great looking fish, gets to the right size and is relatively placid - but aren't cichlids notorius tank furniture removers/destroyers? I want to remain with a planted theme of sorts, creating a dimly light end to my new tank, floating plant and stemed plants. I also want to keep with the small substrate such as gravel/sand - don't cichlids like to dig and pile up the substrate if they can?

Any more suggestions, I really am at a loss what to go for!

Thanks for the reply.

John

Festive Cichlids!! They are just gorgeous IMO, not one of the most striking cichlids certainly... but their personality makes up for it!! They live higher in the tank, they don't move stuff or destroy plants and they are about as docile a cichlid as you can get! Almost more like a gourami in temperament (but way more interesting!)

Interesting fish I dont know much about it but cool idea!

Festive cichlid? Possibly but I would want to see one in the flesh before I say yes.

What about the Silver Gar? I've been told they are grow to about 12", are peaceful to tank-mates they don't see as dinner, etc. Would they be a good choice? If so, are they best kept in a small group or singular?

Sorry for the continual questioning but thanks for your suggestions.

John

Most reactions

Back