Another Ammonia Spike!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MamaPish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
1st Ammonia Spike post.......

My ammonia has spiked again...I am on day 5 of treating tank with Maracyn....for the 2nd time, and Maracyn-2 for the first time.

Last night I added some african driftwood.....it came out of a tank from a LFS going out of business.
I also added some new live plants.

I moved a few things around, and took some things out of the tank to make room for the new additions......

Is it possible the ammonia spike is from stirring up the tank a bit?
all other testing is fine.........

The ammonia spike from the other day happend after I added 2 new live plants...I had to move the gravel around a bit to plant them...

Anyone else have this happen after adding things to their tank?

:wub: My angels are doing GREAT....they are even starting to pair off again :wub:

Tomorrow is day 6 and time to do a water change.......how should I go about getting the meds out of the tank?
Should I vacume the tank or just do a water change?...how much?

Thanks! B)

mamapish,

As for the ammonia spikes from adding decor to the tank....never had it happen to me, but I guess it is possible.

Do a 25% water change going lightly over the gravel, but not into it and filter with carbon for a few hours and this should remove any residual meds that are left in the tank.

Glad to hear your angels are doing good!!!!!

CM

Thanks CM....I don't know what I would have done without all your help....I truely appreciate all your effort and time you have spent on my fish probs.......I truely appreciate you, and others who have contributided to all my problems
Thank you all so much....

This forum is an escape from motherhood, (I am a mother of 6 adopted kids ages 2,4,4,8,9&10 for those of you who don't know) and you are all so nice and helpful....it is so nice to interact with "adults" even if it is on a forum.

I really feel accepted here............ :flowers: THANKS!!! :flowers:

Did what CM suggested....25% water change...and new filters, and no change in the ammonia...it is pretty high.....3.0-4.0. :no:

All other parameters are great....fish are still great,
:/ would it hurt to do a major water change......like 50% or so...and how often til I can get this under control. :/

:unsure: I have read some suggestions on the internet of at least 50% water changes daily till it is under control :unsure: ......need some more expert advise!!!
as always!! :book:
Thanks!

Most reactions

Back