Angels at the top

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Vam

Reaction score
Angels seem to be spending a great deal of time nosing at the top of my tank. Any reason for this? They are both new and I'm having hard time getting them to eat anything!

One angel is a week old and other 3 days. Any ideas?

I don't know, but mine are worrying me too because they spend all their time on the bottom! And they all 4 keep together in a tight pack. I thought angels weren't schooling fish? If they're not, then why are they swimming around so tightly knit?

What are it's tankmates?

What size tank is this?

What type of filtration?

Does the angelfish appear as though it is gasping for air?

How big are the angels?

if they are new, they will be getting adjusted to the tank, they will eat when they get hungry!

40 gallon tall tank
they are not very big
don't appear to be gasping for air

tank mates:
3 danios
1 betta

Angelfish are more middle dwelling fish so staying at the top constantly isn't normal. It may be thats its just new and scared to move around which is very possible. You might want to try just adding an extra airstone to their tank just in case they aren't getting enough air.

When i first bought my angelfish i think they were staying at the top also until i added an airstone and they didn't look like they were gasping for air. After a while they began swimming around normal so i just left it in there.

Also, since you don't have any scaleless fish then you might want to try adding about a tablespoon per 10 gallons of aquariam salt to help with the stress of moving and to relax. Salt always seems to help.

Large Healthy fish can usually go up to about a month without food but i would never try it. Just letting you know so that you don't think your fish may die very soon if it doesn't eat. Then again, the fish's health is compromised at a lfs.

If you are very conconerned and the fish hasn't eaten in a while, you might want to try live food. Live food seems to always make a fussy eater begin to eat. Don't buy feeders from the store as they have diseases. I would recommend that you buy a pack of brine shrimp eggs and grow them a couple of days (comes with instructions). Thats also most angelfishes fav food. I have never had to grow brine shrimp but i believe all you need is a lightbulb, 1-2 gallon empty coke bottle, aqarium salt and water. There are some kits you can buy that come with the container you grow the brine shrimp in as well.

If you don't want to try live food then the next best thing is frozen food which of course if you go there go for brine shrimp.

Frozen bloodworms seems a favorite for most fish.

If you plan to use salt, make sure you dissolve it in water first, then slowly pour the solution in your tank under a long period of time. If you drop the crystals in the tank, the fish might think it's food and try to eat it. Even scaleless fish can survive aquarium salt, as long as it's diluted in water. I have clown loaches (scaleless fish) and they never seem to get bothered.

If your danios or zebra danios, I would watch them carefully or maybe move them out. I have heard of several occurrences that they can be fin nippers, especially towards angelfish. I guess I was fortunate with I had several zebra danios in my tank with 2 angelfish, because the angelfish were fine.

What type of filter do you have?

Most reactions

Back