Angelfish Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have a group of six juvenile Angelfish with a school of nine black phantom tetras, and three Ancistrus (Bristlenose pleco) in a 65 gallon.

I've observed something interesting. Although the tank was planted the phantoms were always rather skittish. Now that I've added the angelfish the phantoms seem much less skittish and are out and about when I'm moving near the tank.
Point is Black Phantom Tetras are darker and make the angelfish pop.

Sent from my PRO 7 Plus using Tapatalk

I have a group of six juvenile Angelfish with a school of nine black phantom tetras, and three Ancistrus (Bristlenose pleco) in a 65 gallon.

I've observed something interesting. Although the tank was planted the phantoms were always rather skittish. Now that I've added the angelfish the phantoms seem much less skittish and are out and about when I'm moving near the tank.
Point is Black Phantom Tetras are darker and make the angelfish pop.

The tetras don’t nip at the angelfish’s tail?

Not in my experience with phantoms, this won't hold true with other tetras though. Other members can help you if you're interested in other tetras.

Black phantoms are relatively peaceful and sedate in my experience (not to Ancistrus fry though....). The angels will ward off any phantoms that get too close, but none of the fish have nipped or damaged fins.

Agree, you have to select species very carefully when you are dealing with sedate fish or fish with long fins, both of which apply to angelfish. There are actually a number of suitable fish species from among the tetras (and some other characins).

As for the lone angelfish, yes this is possible but not something you will see me recommend because I care about how we maintain fish to be as close to their expectations as we can. This is the only way to reduce stress and that means healthier fish. Angelfish being a shoaling species it expects to be in a group, but I noted issues previously and obviously tank space is a major factor.

I seem to post this video in every angelfish thread, but it is one of the best I have come across to illustrate the above. This is a group of eleven wild Pterophyllum scalare from the Rio Cuiuni in a home aquarium that is 211 gallons (800 liters), the dimensions are 200 X 65 X 65cm (78 X 25 X 25 inches). The video poster in the comments says he has since moved the angelfish into a much larger tank, but even in the tank in the video you can observe absolutely normal and natural behaviours/interactions. This is how the fish should live, and any other situation we force them into is less than adequate.

Enlarge the video to full screen, and sit back for four and a half minutes of one of the beauties of nature.

Agree, you have to select species very carefully when you are dealing with sedate fish or fish with long fins, both of which apply to angelfish. There are actually a number of suitable fish species from among the tetras (and some other characins).

As for the lone angelfish, yes this is possible but not something you will see me recommend because I care about how we maintain fish to be as close to their expectations as we can. This is the only way to reduce stress and that means healthier fish. Angelfish being a shoaling species it expects to be in a group, but I noted issues previously and obviously tank space is a major factor.

I seem to post this video in every angelfish thread, but it is one of the best I have come across to illustrate the above. This is a group of eleven wild Pterophyllum scalare from the Rio Cuiuni in a home aquarium that is 211 gallons (800 liters), the dimensions are 200 X 65 X 65cm (78 X 25 X 25 inches). The video poster in the comments says he has since moved the angelfish into a much larger tank, but even in the tank in the video you can observe absolutely normal and natural behaviours/interactions. This is how the fish should live, and any other situation we force them into is less than adequate.

Enlarge the video to full screen, and sit back for four and a half minutes of one of the beauties of nature.

That’s pretty cool I wish I had the space for that. Are there any colorful schools of fish that would be ok with an angel?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back