Angelfish Courtship or Agression?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

howard_hopkinson

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Here's a video of my mated pair of angelfish either displaying or showing agression. The male is the yellow koi. The female the dark coloured one has laid eggs quite a number of times but the eggs never appear to be fertilised.
I'm wondering if they are actually both female?

It looks like courting behavior to me.

This is common behavior as Angels always display their dominance to be boss. In my experience, mated pairs don't behave this way...but will 'charge' any fish that come near their eggs. I doubt that this is a mated pair, especially since eggs have never been fertilized.

In that case, I suspect they are both feamales that have paired up as sometimes happens and would account for the eggs not being fertilised.

When eggs are laid, both angelfish will stop any other fish from approaching the eggs and will charge any that get too close.

I ha
This is common behavior as Angels always display their dominance to be boss. In my experience, mated pairs don't behave this way...but will 'charge' any fish that come near their eggs. I doubt that this is a mated pair, especially since eggs have never been fertilized.
Your right, I had a mated pair and they protect they territory together. They would do this toward other fish that came too close.

It's interesting, for sure. The only reliable way to sex an angelfish is to look at their parts when they are breeding. I have personally kept a "pair" of albino pearlescale angelfish that were both female and the one would always lay eggs (that obviously never hatched).

Looks like courting behavior, but I've also personally seen that exact same behavior from two females....

Have you ever observed their tubes during breeding?

Just observing the video I wold think this is more dominance than courting, as others have said. Though I am no angelfish expert, the last time I spawned them was in the 1980's and I frankly cannot remember what they did or didn't do! You know one is definitely female, the other likely is as well. If the seconde were male, either they would get on with it or the female would likely be dead by now. I've not known a pair of neotropical (South American) cichlids to last long if they do not bond.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back